Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Song of the chapter is "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons. 

JAMES GAISFORD IS SO FREAKING HOT. That is all. 

Connor POV

Gritting my teeth, I try not to think of Adrian and Kiara, alone, talking in an isolated room. The thought makes me sick. Instead, I stare at the lace tablecloth as if I were mad at it. Adrian's girl keeps trying to talk to me. 

"It's so funny how we're both dating the two most elite teenagers in the pack, isn't it Connor?" she says. I grunt in response; her voice is annoying as hell. She's plenty hot, I'll give her that, but it's the kind of hot where you know she's used it to her advantage. I want to ask Adrian how he was so blind-sided to pick this one, but it keeps him away from Kiara, so I don't. 

"Adrian's wonderful," she says to his mom. "He's truly amazing." 

"Oh thank you, Isabel. Adrian's very fond of you as well," his mom replies. 

"There is one complication of this relationship," the Alpha expresses, gaining everyone at the table's attention. Isabel smiles warily and looks up at him. "Are you two mates?" Everyone's gaze turns to Isabel, looking desperate for an answer. Even I look too; Hey, a guy can be curious. 

"I-I don't know," Isabel answers, making Mrs. Jackson's shoulders go slack. From disappointment or relief, I can't tell. "It sure feels like it," she continues. "I've never felt this way about anyone before." 

Before anyone can respond, we hear the doors to the dining hall slam open, and Adrian storm through. He struts up to the table, throws an arm over Isabel's shoulders. "We're leaving," he says to her. Although surprised, she giggles into his chest and stands, following him away from the table. 

"Adrian?" Mrs. Everhart presses. "What happened? Where's Kiara?"

He narrows his eyes in spite of himself, making mine narrow in response. It's a habit. "I don't know. And I don't care." 

The only sound that came from the room was the scraping noise of both my and the Alpha's chairs against the floor. Adrian was just out the door when I pull him to me by the back of his shirt, making Isabel squeal in surprise. 

"What the hell did you do to her?" I all but growl. I knew leaving them alone wasn't a good idea. If he hurt her, I swear I'll kill him. 

But Connor, you'll be the one hurting her the most in a few month's time, I think to myself, and then quickly shake the thought away. Now was not the time to guilt myself over. 

Adrian recovers quickly, and rips my curled fingers off of his shirt. "Maybe your mate isn't always the victim," he spats with rage. And I thought, Wow, this guy must really want me to punch him. I'm raising my fist to do so, before we're pushed away from each other by two strong hands. 

"Not now," the Alpha commands, making both of us refraining from beating the shit out of each other. "We have to find Kiara. She could run away again and the hunters could find her before we do." 

Adrian's face goes white. He blinks twice, finally sinking in that he's a fucking idiot. "Shit," he swears under his breath. "I'll check the forests." He untangles Isabel, who is still clinging to him mercilessly, from his arm and sprints out of the house. 

That just leaves me and the Alpha. The mood seems frantic and panicked. He looks at me, the strain of his job showing within the slight wrinkles under his eyes. "I can't rally the figthers in search for her," he explains. "She'll just run off further to avoid them." How many times has this girl run away?