Introduction

''Yerin, your brother is waiting for you'' Layla said just in time when I have finished combing my long brown curly hair. Layla has been one of our helpers at home. All my life, she has already been there for me, taking care of me and my brother.

This has been a very common scenario in the morning. I don't do alarm clocks. I get by with Layla's rollcalls.

I looked at the way I look with my uniform and smiled contented. It is the first day of classes. It is always good to start the year in a good note.

I'm not the usual type of girl who needs to wake up at 4:30 in the morning just because she needs 2 hours to put on her make up. I don't like putting make up on for a couple different reasons. First, I am too lazy to do it. Second, it is uncomfortable. Third, and most important of all, my brother hates it.

Give me forty five minutes and I'm perfectly ready for school. And even that, is still too late for me because again of my brother. He usually likes going to school early in the morning for whatever reason, and because we ride the same car together, I need to follow his timeline.

I ran to the hallway, down the stairs and took a different turn heading to the kitchen. Layla was already waiting for me holding out a brown paper bag.

''Thanks Layla.'' I called, grabbing an apple and I ran outside to the car. I opened the door and entered sliding myself beside my nearly pissed off brother even if I was only 3 minutes late today.

''Good morning, my dashing brother!'' I smiled innocently at him.

''I thought I told you to wake up earlier today?"

"Sorry?" I cheekily smiled.

He sighed and then he started ruffling my hair then kissing it afterwards. "You need to stop pulling up that little sister act on me."

Despite my not very pleasing descriptions of him, he is still the kindest and sweetest person that I know. It's him and me looking after each other most of the time. Safe to say, he is very fond and protective of me.

''You just ruined the reason I came late'' I tried pushing his hand away from my already messed up hair.

''I don't understand why you girls care so much about these tiny things'' he said looking at me questioning.

Once upon a time, he too, looked at a girl and said "the waves in your head, so tranquil and sweet, makes me want to dream and sleep" in a song. But, alas, the tragedy ruined everything.

''I sincerely hope you will remember again how tiny things like these made you feel before" I almost whispered. He heard it. And I hope he heard the sincerity in it.

I looked at him and he was just keeping his calm face although I know how different he feels inside. He was in love. He got hurt. Now, although he is almost back to normal, he isn't as happy as he was before.

"You think I have time for those things?" He argued, faking his emotions. "If you know, I've been very busy looking after you. Who do you think prevents you from getting kidnapped at school to be confessed at?"

"I can do that myself"

Pfft. He snorted. "Like, we both don't know that you're too shy to turn someone down and you'd force yourself to avoid disappointing them. I know you like the back of my hand, little sister"

He was right. I hate saying no to people. If I can, I try not to disappoint anyone.

"Well" I sighed "I can learn"

He looked at me judgingly, as if I just said the most impossible statement I can ever say. He crossed his hands in his chest and looked out the window.