Chapter 15: Don't be a Dick

"Jack, that you?" Alex called from the living room.

"Yeah, it was really fun you should've stayed." Jack said, leading water trails from the front door to Alex.

"Why do you spend so much time with Hope?" Alex asked.

"What do you mean by that? Do you not like her or something?"

"No, it's not that. I mean, she's cool and everything but why do you spend so much time with her?" he turned from the TV to look at Jack, "It's obviously not romanic because, lets be real, between what she said in the car to Zack and the age difference, that won't happen."

"Because we're friends, Alex. Why do you think I spend so much time with you?"

"Uh... because we've known eachother since middle school and we're in a band together? Maybe that?"

"Are you jealous of her?" Jack asked.

"What? No!" 

"Then why are you being such a dick?"

"Because, well, you're spending so much time with her, its weird. She has other friends you know-

"Tumblr friends in completely different countries. She said we were her only friends she can hang out with in person."

"Oh, but-

"No Alex! She hasn't had a friend since her friend claire was shot in DC, don't you remember? You were there when she told me!"

"Hey, I remember, but for some reason I feel like she's just messing with us for attention. I'm not saying she's lying about Claire, she brought us to her grave on Claires birthday, but shes saying she doesn't have friends to get closer to us using empathy."

"You're so full of crap! You never even had friends until you met me, remember? How awesome would it be to have... to have Mark Hoppus or Tom Delourge as your friend when you moved?"

"Ok, Jack! I didn't mean to upset you! I was just wondering."

"You should take a break from being a dick." Jack said. "Maybe you should sleep somewhere else tonight." He almost whispered.

"What?" 

"You heard me!" Jack said, embarassed.

"Jack, we aren't a troubled married couple, you can't tell me to leave!"

"Just go, not because I don't want you near me, I want you to think about how much you suck. Go get a hotel and realize what it's like to not be wanted."

"Fine, Jack. If you think it'll help, but I swear, this won't help anything."

Five minutes later, a drawstring bag with a change of clothes, and motel money in his back pocket, Alex was sitting in his car deciding where to go.

"Fuck this." He got his stuff, got out of the car, and walked across the street, knocking on the old door.

"Hello- Alex!" Hope said sleepily, then surprised. "Uhh, why are you here?"

"Jack kicked me out for the night." He shifted the bag on his shoulder, "Mind if I stay here?"