10. one friday

The interview was over, but Brock and Tremont lingered talking

The interview was over, but Brock and Tremont lingered talking. They had worked together for many years in the BAU, and now Tremont was a firm candidate to become the new Unit Chief after Grubber retired, the next year. Brock smiled at Tremont's attempt to recruit him.

"I'm sure the Cassidy boy will agree if you ask for it."

Brock scoffed. "The Cassidy boy? Frank, you're hardly older than him."

"Whatever. He won't say no to you. Rumor has it you're his new best friend in Violent Crimes."

"And now you pay attention to rumors."

"Only those I can use. Look, Brock, we're five men down. And don't come telling me you like being chained to this desk." Brock raised his eyebrows and Tremont smiled. "Don't even think about the taking-it-slow gambit, 'cause I've heard about your adventures in Boston. Last year you and your partner were all over, and you proved you're as sharp a profiler as ever."

The door opened wide without even a knock, interrupting Brock's answer, and Cassidy walked only one step in, duffel bag in hand.

"I'm leaving for Boston, Brockner. You and Jo hold the fort. See you on Monday," he said in his rough way. He glanced at Tremont with a quick nod. "Agent..."

He was gone before the other two could even nod, striding down the hall to the elevators. Brock still stared in surprise at the door when Tremont turned to him with an ironic smile.

"Hold the fort, Brockner?" Tremont stood up with a soft scoff. "Guess I better leave you to it, Acting Section Chief," he teased.

"C'mon, Frank," Brock protested, flashing a mild smile.

"If we're not too low for you now, keep in mind we'd be thrilled to have you back. Have a nice weekend," the man said, and walked out.

Brock's smile vanished as soon as his door closed again, and he allowed himself a snort under his breath. Too low for him! The BAU was always understaffed, yet none of them had ever considered to have him back over the last six years. And suddenly he was just the man they needed. Of course. Because of his skills as a profiler. Sure. It had nothing to do with him working under Cassidy.

He closed Tremont's file, shaking his head. Did they really think he was so naïve? Or so desperate to be accepted back to the clan? They'd turned their backs on him at the worst moment of his life, all of them too concerned about their own reputations to even shake his hand or have a kind word to him. Did they really expect him to even want to work with them ever again?

His own bitterness took him aback. He'd never realized how much he resented their attitude. So he breathed deep and stood up. He should check with Cassidy's secretary to ask what 'hold the fort' was supposed to mean.

Jo, Cassidy's secretary, insisted that everything was fine. "Don't worry, Agent Brockner. You go home as usual. I'll call you if anything comes up."

Brock knew she was capable of doing the work of three people all by herself, and she'd been Cassidy's assistant for years. Trying to make himself of help would only mean standing in her way. "Please, don't hesitate to call me, no matter the time," he said.

She flashed a reassuring smile and nodded. "I will, sir."

He understood she would hold his eyes with her efficient smile, not resuming her work until he was gone. So he nodded back, spun around and left.

He got Andrea's call on his way home. She had a birthday party that night, and her mother couldn't pick her up. Could he?

"Sure, what time?"

"About midnight?"

He scowled. "Isn't that a little late?"

"Please, Dad! It's Friday and we've been planning this for months! It's a theme party!"

"Alright. Text me the address."

"Thanks, Dad! Love you!"

"Hum!" he grunted, making Andrea giggle.

He disconnected and dialed Viv, putting the phone on speaker to drive. They were having dinner in a while, and she wouldn't be exactly thrilled to find out that desserts would have to be shorter than usual, or wait for the next week. But the control freak knew his limits, and when he explained it was because of Andrea, she didn't complain.

Her subtle vengeance was making him talk. She didn't seem to have anything interesting to tell, not even about her hideous poodles, so she asked him about his day, his week, his job. Brock managed to keep his answers general enough not to encourage further questions. Viv was the last person on earth to discuss his job with over dinner, because she didn't have the slightest idea of what his life in the Bureau had been like for the last six or seven years. Actually, she didn't have the slightest idea what his work was, period. But on his attempt to shift her focus from him, he made the mistake of mentioning that his boss was away for the weekend. To Boston. The thought fell on his mind like a heavy coin through a rusty slot: he was supposed to "hold the fort", but he didn't have the slightest idea what could be so urgent to make Cassidy leave in such a hurry. Could it be related to the case Russell and Gillian were working?