5. the hardest question

The smell of fresh coffee came up to greet her when she finally headed downstairs, and she felt her lips curling up out of their own will

The smell of fresh coffee came up to greet her when she finally headed downstairs, and she felt her lips curling up out of their own will. Because it wasn't only the promise of a tasty coffee waiting for her, but the person waiting by the coffee, after making it only to help her feel better.

Connor had his back turned when she walked into the kitchen, so her arms circled him out of nowhere, startling him. But then he felt the warm, light weight of her head against his back, and her voice still a little hoarse, thanking him for the coffee she hadn't even tried yet. He spun around without breaking her embrace and held her tight, feeling relieved like a ton of rocks had been lifted from his shoulders.

Gillian wore her weekend-in gear: leggings, an old baggy hoodie, tennis, her wet hair falling on her shoulders. She let Connor make her sit at the bar and place before her a steamy mug with an authentic cappuccino and a slice of pie.

"You're gonna spoil me," she said, trying not to grin like an idiot, and failing. And not caring at all, because all these treats were so much more valuable coming from him.

"The idea is making you lower your guard." Connor smiled, sitting opposite her with his own mug and another slice of pie.

"Well, that's straightforward. Guess you have some questions..."

"Only one, but first I need to show you something."

Gillian saw him fetch his computer from the table and place it on the bar for both of them to see the screen. It was a video of a live coverage from Orlando's the day before.

"I've been watching this, and something caught my attention, you know?" said Connor. "So I want you to watch it too, and then I'll ask my question."

"Okay."

The video was paused near the end, and Gillian needed a moment to understand what she was seeing. Connor noticed her frown and played it muted, while she narrowed her eyes, moving them all over the screen.

The camera was placed in such a way to get what was happening over the shoulders of the uniforms keeping the barrier. Gillian saw the SWAT agents gearing up. Her team and Russell were at the tent, and all of them were looking the same way with worried frowns. She followed their looks and spotted Brock and King Gillian face to face. Brock glared at the old man as to kill him out of his sole anger. The old man said something, with a mocking little smile that made her guts twitch at the very sight of it.

Then King Gillian spun around, signaled at the SWAT groups to advance and strode away toward Orlando's up ahead. It was so weird, seeing it from the outside. The last remaining hostages were still there, all lined up against the shop window. She knew she was a couple of steps behind, dragging Phil from the counter to show him what was going on.

"There," she heard Connor say, and he pointed at the tent.

Brock joined Russell and her team, all of them waiting for him to speak. Past them, SWAT spread all over the street, assault rifles ready, gas masks on. Then Brock said something and Russell and the rest of them sprinted across the street. Tanya stopped Brock to tell him something, he nodded and hurried away after the others. Connor paused again the video when the team entered the building next door to Orlando's and King Gillian was handed a speaker.

Gillian nodded, all of a sudden scared of what Connor was about to ask. She faced him, trying to wear her best poker face. "That's about the end of it," she said. "It was over not five minutes later."

"I know. Now this is my question: did Granddad order the attack when the hostages were still being used as a human shield, before the team was even in position to get them out through the restroom window?"

Gillian felt the chill running down her spine. Of course he would notice. He knew how to look at things. Not only was he so smart: she had taught him to. Connor frowned and she realized she was blankly staring at him. She breathed so deep she shivered. Connor's hand pressing hers didn't exactly help her to keep her frail cool.

"Mom?"

She opened her mouth and shut it back, pressing her lips together in a tight line, still holding her son's dark blue eyes. What was she to answer? She couldn't just tell him he was right!

Connor too breathed deep, then nodded with a quick grimace. "It's okay, you don't need to say it. I've seen it myself."

"Connor, don't—"

"Mom, he did it live on national television. It's there for everyone to see."

"Please, son, I don't want you to—"

"To what? Have eyes? Have a mind of my own?"

Before she could even notice, tears rolled down her cheeks. She wiped them away, annoyed at herself. Connor closed the computer's lid and faced her again.

"How did you get outta there alive, Mom?"

"B-Brockner... He got to me right in time and pulled me back from the line of fire..." she muttered. But I didn't want him to, son. I hated his guts for doing it. For not letting me die, and seeing you again, and recalling how much I love you. That's how pathetic I am. I was so overwhelmed by what that despicable old man did... I still am... But at least now I'm here with you. Because he forced me to stay alive. Again.

"You should send'im at least another Blue Label for this, you know." Connor chuckled at her puzzled frown. "I'd do it myself, but he'd think I'm trying to soften him 'cause I like Andrea, so I better don't."

"How do you even know I gave him a Blue Label?"

Connor rolled his eyes. "Mom, you paid for it with your credit card."

"Connor!"

"What?"

"Do I poke into your business?"

"No."

"Then keep your hacker ass outta mine!"

Connor's smile surprised her, warm and glad and relieved all together. "Welcome back, Mom."

She shook her head, scoffing, but Connor got serious again way too soon.

"May I ask you something I don't actually know the answer to?"

"Shoot."

"Are you gonna do something about it?"

He didn't need to clarify his question any further. Gillian shrugged. "I quit."

Connor's eyes widened as he gawked at her. "You what?"

"I resigned to the Boston PD."

"Okay, let's say I believe you. What now?"

"You get a job and I get a cat?"

Connor kept gawking at her.

"I'm supposed to be still a reservist trooper. Al met with them this morning to see if they'd have us."

"Us? You mean the team also quit?"

"Yeah, stupid hotheads. I didn't know. Russell only told me after they did it."

"Yeah, go figure, I don't know who they turned out so hotheaded after."

"Are we suffering some kind of inversion of roles here?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Mom."

Gillian arched her eyebrows at his innocent face and they ended up laughing together. Yeah, she really owed Brock, for giving her the chance of that moment with her son.