CHAPTER VI

The car flew down the freeway, Bailey had the pedal to the floor and Shae was screaming wildly in the back.

"I don't think he's breathing!"

My heart felt like a jackhammer in my chest and I could barely breathe.

"How far!?" I screamed but Bailey's eyes were fixed on the road as she weaved in and out of the few cars on the road.

"Bailey! How far?" I yelled again.

She snapped her head at me with wild eyes. Terror had painted itself all over her.

"I d-don't know," she stammered, "maybe ten minutes?"

It was too long, I had to get back to Jakob and help. I looked at Shae in the tray, she was bent over his bleeding body crying hysterically. His blood had stained her top but what really worried me was that he still wasn't moving.

"Stop the car!" I said, "I have to get back there."

"You're crazy," Bailey replied, "where am I going to stop?"

She was right, there was no lane to pull over into and we didn't have time anyway. I had to get him to emergency and take off right away or I would never get home in time. My mind was racing. He wasn't going to make it if I didn't get back. I looked at the back window and thanked God, it was one that slid open. I unbuckled my belt and wrenched the window aside but it was so small. I squeezed myself at it like a snake desperate for freedom but my shoulder got jammed. I had one arm and my head out the back with Shae and my legs kicking into the dash next to Bailey.

"What the hell are you doing?" Bailey screamed as my legs flailed into her.

"Help me," I screamed.

Shae grabbed my arm and pulled and I could feel Bailey trying to wedge my shoulder through. I felt like I was being ripped apart until suddenly I was free and nearly vaulted right across the back tail of the pick-up. I came down hard against the metal and the cold night air stung my face like bitter knives of ice. But there was no time to waste.

I pushed Shae out the way and crawled up to Jakob. He wasn't breathing, I couldn't feel his breath and there was no pulse.

"What do I do!?" I screamed at Bailey.

"CPR you idiot?" She cried back as the car shook to the right and threw me off balance.

"What the hell is CPR?"

"Are you serious?" She screamed, "push his chest into the rhythm of row-row-row-your-boat and then give him five long breaths! Breaths first... right now!"

I looked at his bloodied face and was lost in shock. My hands were shaking but I stretched them out slowly and wiped the slick blood from his mouth. It was warm against the cold air and coagulated instantly to a thick sticky paste on my fingers.

"Quickly, Alex!" Shae cried in a shaking voice.

She was right, I was wasting time. I opened Jakob's mouth as wide as I could get it and sealed my lips against his. They were soft and warm and I breathed out slowly and felt his lungs expand under my elbow. I did it again and again and felt the blood begin to coat my own lips and face. I must have looked horrific.

"Now, push his chest in," Bailey yelled with a surprisingly authoritative calm.

I didn't even think, I just put my hands over where I thought his heart would be and started putting my body into each press. His ribs caved in a little each time I did it and I was starting to sweat. My mind was racing, come on, Jakob, come on! He still wasn't breathing and his skin was going cold.