CHAPTER III

Breakfast was announced with the obnoxious crowing of an old cock at six in the morning. I couldn't remember the last time I woke up so early, but the blinding panes of sunlight filtering through my window made sure I didn't fall back to sleep. I wouldn't forget to close my curtain again.

Sharon was already up, I found her downstairs in the kitchen with pancakes frying in a pan. It was too early for her to be this chirpy. She met me with a big hug and a smile.

"Good morning, Pumpkin!"

The greeting made me shudder.

"I used to call my sister Pumpkin," I said shyly.

"Oh," she looked a little taken back like I'd told her off, "well I'm sorry about that, Alex."

She turned back to her pan. I think I had offended her.

"Are we going into town today?" I asked.

"We are," she said from her cooktop, "there's a list of school books on the table, have a look."

I sat down at the old wooden table in the kitchen and picked up the note. I could feel my palms were a little sweaty just thinking about a new school.

Saint Josephine's Catholic School

Books:

English | Latin | Math | Science | World History | Religious Studies | Physical Education

Uniform:

Boys: White shirt, black pants, black leather shoes, white socks, black tie, maroon jumper with school insignia OR school blazer.

Girls: White shirt, black pants OR black skirt, black leather shoes, white socks, black tie, maroon jumper with school insignia OR school blazer.

In Addition:

Students are expected to supply their own workbooks and stationary including a calculator. All textbooks will be loaned from the school directly.

I didn't realise I had groaned so loudly but Sharon came over with the pancakes and sat down next to me.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I've never had to wear a uniform before."

"Really?" She was genuinely surprised.

"Never," I reassured her.

"Well, you are going to look so smart in your little white shirt and black skirt. Plus, the school blazer is to die for!"

She was so excited. I couldn't work out if she really did think I was going to love all this, or if she was trying to live the childhood she never had through me.

"And Latin?" I screwed up my face.

"Lingua Latina bene est!" She said with a horrible Italian accent.

I laughed, "I have no idea what you just said!"

"Well that's why you are going to have to learn it," she chuckled.

This woman was starting to grow on me. It felt like she had a big heart and her smile was infectious.

"Eat your pancakes!" She urged.

They were delicious, it was like biting into puffy clouds of berry bliss.

"We grow the blackberries ourselves," she said with a mouth half full.