Chap. 12: An Expression of Feelings

(Warning, there is censored cursing)

Nightmare's POV:

The tears wouldn't stop cascading down my cheek bones as I sat there on the floor. I should've known that she wouldn't share my feelings, I should've expected rejection. But I was foolish enough to think that... no... I had been foolish enough to actually hope that things would go otherwise.

I should've beaten it into my thick skull that it was only wishful thinking...

Cross' POV:

I have never seen Nightmare like this. I never thought that I would see Nightmare like this. He was so broken at how (Y/n) had to think things through that he saw it as a full on rejection of his feelings. I know her well enough that if she didn't have the same feelings, she wouldn't have to leave to think about it. In fact, she even told me of her growing feelings for Nightmare before any of this, which is why I was so shocked to find out that they were soulmates. She had described similar sensations as Nightmare had described to me.

"And that's why the two of us were so willing to look through all of those STUPID books to find the source of that problem, it was for our sister. Now if you are done sulking in your thoughts, you probably want to, oh, I don't know, CALM NIGHTMARE DOWN!" Chara snapped.

I sigh and walk over to Nightmare's trembling form, grabbing a kleenex box along the way. I place a hand on his shoulder and offer the kleenexes to catch his attention. He barely mumbled a 'thank you' as he took a few, wiping up his own tears. I took a deep breath and started, "Nightmare, I understand that (Y/n)'s reaction was rather lacking on being discreet, but I know her well enough to be aware of the fact that she wouldn't have to go to think if she didn't feel the same. She is simply, overwhelmed from all these events in one day. She just needs some space to process everything." I tried to reassure him but I could tell by his empty expression that he didn't believe me.

"Save your false reassurances for someone who needs them." Nightmare huffed, standing up and walking to the door. He paused at the door and turned enough to look at me from the corner of his eye. "Be sure to let (Y/n) know that dinner will soon be prepared." Nightmare finished as he walked out the door.

"UGH!!" Chara groaned. "Nightmare can be such a f*@$ing prick sometimes! He only ever believes what he wants to believe! And! Even WORSE!! He never gives himself enough credit!" They kept hissing and complaining, but whatever else that they may have said were drowned out by my own thoughts. They have a point. Nightmare never had given himself enough credit. In fact, he seems to think that he doesn't deserve anything other than suffering.

I snap out of my thoughts when Chara finally calms down. "You know, we should probably go find (Y/n) and tell her that dinner will be ready soon." I sigh and leave the room, starting my search for (Y/n).

(Y/n)'s POV:

I didn't know what to say. I don't know how to respond. I had just found out that the guy, err, skeleton that I had a huge crush on actually feels the same. That we're soulmates! I had to walk out before I started to freak out. What if he doesn't feel the same. What if......... that's the only reason that he puts up with me... My hopes continued to sink as, 'what if's would rush threw my thoughts.

My thoughts quickly fled as I heard footsteps going the hallway. An unnerving chill went along my spine as I listened to the slow, rhythmic echoes as they gradually grew louder. I quickly flicked the light switch to off and hid in my concealed closet, sitting in the dark and watching silently as the door gave out a loud groan as it was opened. I froze in place at the small viewing hole, confusion and fear filtering through my thoughts at seeing that girl from earlier. Her cold blue eyes almost lit the room as a grin stretched across her face.