I abruptly stood up, my good mood disappearing with the memories. "The last time I was invited into a Stronghold, I barely made it out alive."

Turning, I briskly entered the house and grabbed some things I knew we'd be taking. At least we would have more room with four fewer people in the back of the truck. Chloe sensed my mood and moved out of my way with a wary look, carrying her half-eaten rabbit with her.

The others finished their food and also came to help pack. Daniel kept glancing at me, curious about my story, but didn't say anything, likely not wanting to pry into a touchy subject.

It didn't take us long to finish packing and resume our road trip. We spread out in the back and took up our original positions. We stuck Joel in the corner between Nicky and Nina, since that seemed like the best place for him.

This time, the trip didn't seem so bad, likely because I had more room and fewer people infringing upon my personal space. If nothing else, it didn't chafe against my instincts as much. Daniel also seemed more relaxed. The rest of this trip might just be tolerable after all.

~

       I, along with everyone else, glared at the fire-blackened remains of the wooden bridge.

"Well, I guess we now know why the van's tracks backtracked and went down that other road," Ben said.

Nina turned my map one way, then the other, and shook her head. "It's hard to say. We probably would have arrived in five or six hours, but any detour will add an additional two hours or so."

Ben sighed. "Good thing we have so much diesel. We're going to need it."

We returned to our places as Hank turned the truck around and followed the van's tracks. Their map had at least shown some of the back roads. I idly wondered if the other group had been psychic when they took two big water jugs of fuel. Then again, after running out once, I couldn't see them not taking such precautions.

"Trinity, how do you usually travel when you're not accompanying humans?" Nina inquired.

"If I pretend to be asleep, will I be able to avoid the question?" I asked idly.

She chuckled. "I know it isn't possible for you to sleep in these conditions."

"On foot, usually."

"That's a lot of walking."

"Believe me, I know."

I huffed as Hank hit another pothole, although given how the road behind us looked, I wasn't sure how he missed most of the ones we'd passed. Or the pieces of metal and other obstacles.

"Bumpity, bump, bump; bumpity, bump, bump; over the road, we go!"

I bestowed a glare upon the cheerful, red-headed singer whose skills were so terrible that half the people were wincing.

"If you keep singing, this is going to come to blows," I told her tartly.

"That doesn't really rhyme, and that certainly isn't how the song is supposed to go," she informed me.

"I really don't care."

"Come on! I'm a great singer! Today's your lucky day!"

Before I could retort that my luck was better off being used to get to our destination safely, the engine suddenly sputtered for a few seconds and cut out. The truck immediately slowed as it lost power. I growled lowly. I couldn't believe it – today was clearly not my lucky day. I was beginning to wonder if the mere mention of luck was sufficient to summon my complete and utter lack of it.