Chapter 11

"You know you should answer calls when you get them." A deep voice sounded through the fierce rumblings from above. I looked up at the figure near me with bloodshot and tired eyes, a tall man stood beside the moaning trees in a soaked suit with droplets of water dripping off his ginger locks. The grip on the silver phone I had in my hand tightened. The calls I had been ignoring had forced him out here.

My heart shattered at the sight, he looked exhausted and the expression of worry that was painted on his face made it worse. "Not if you don't want to be disturbed," I replied before rubbing my eyes clear of any unshed tears. He sighed and sat next to me on the damp cobbled ground.

"What's happened?" Natsume asked looking up at the dark sky, I didn't answer and instead took out the cause of my sadness and showed it to him. He took the crumpled papers carefully and began reading while I watched the tree branches wave in the wind. Faded green and brown leaves danced to the ground only to end up in a pile of wet mud.

"You were adopted huh?" He mumbled loud enough for me to hear. The tone of his voice was gentle and empathetic. I sniffed and nodded slowly.

"Doesn't surprise me, my life was always too good to be true."

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow, "How so?" Curiosity lined his words.

"I have an amazing father and sister, and to top it off I got 13 brothers." I replied "Well had, I don't have a family now, I can't go back there." I whispered, my breath caught in my throat as I looked at Natsume.

A pained expression was clearly displayed in his eyes as he wiped the tears from my eyes. His gentle act caught me off guard slightly, why was he still acting so kind to me even though we weren't friends or even siblings?

"If you're not going back then you can stay at my place for the night," He said out of the blue, standing up and grabbing my bag.

My blue eyes widened in surprise at his words. "What?" I asked croakily.

"Come on, you don't actually think I'm letting you stay out here?" He replied offering me a hand. I hesitated for a few moments, Natsume was the last person I wanted to be a bother to. Without his help I tried to stand up but my shaky legs collapsed under my weight.

I cringed slightly at the shot of pain I felt rush through my body. "I don't think I can walk well." I muttered quietly. Natsume crouched down beside me and snaked an arm around my waist. With ease he lifted me and I quickly gripped his shirt.

"I'll help you walk. Unless you want to be carried that is." He muttered into my ear with a short laugh. I shook my head in protest. He seemed to get the hint as his grip around my waist tightened and we slowly walked out of the park.

It took us a while to get the the building I assumed that he lived in and that's when I realised that the feeling that was weighing at my heart was guilt. Natsume had done so much for me, I really must have been like a stupid child to him.

*********

I stood awkwardly leaning on the wall behind Natsume as he opened his front door. We entered and two cute calico cats quickly ran towards us. They caught me slightly off guard but before they could touch me Natsume quickly grabbed them.

"Azusa, Tsubaki... I'll feed you in a minute." Natsume sighed lifting the two cats and putting them in the main room, they meowed back and I let out a small giggle. I had perked up slightly being in a warm home but my amusement was short lived.

"You named them after the twins?" I asked with a raised brow. He nodded and smiled warmly back at me. His smile was surprisingly genuine.

"Make yourself comfortable." He told me getting food out of a cupboard for the two cats. I stared through the window at the grim weather. Getting comfortable was going to be kind of difficult when I was in the house of someone like him.