PREVIEW - [BOOK TWO] - CH. 2 | NOBODY'S BUSINESS

The cruel, icy wind smashes unrelentingly against the windows of Tyson's black GTi, making me grateful that I didn't have to travel back to campus on public transport and risk getting doused by the swollen rain clouds that loom overhead, decorating the sky with assorted shades of grey. I can't wait for spring time. The miserable winter weather reminds me of him –grey and cold. To be completely honest, everything reminds me of him, even the most insignificant object is able to trigger a memory from a time when love was. I detest that I miss him the way I do; it puts me in a bad place, a place I had vowed I would never revisit. I have broken many vows lately, and each one makes me wish that I possessed the capacity to be stronger.

I am a mess. I spent my entire Christmas holiday shut away in my bedroom, playing melancholy love songs to torture myself further.

They say that time heals all wounds, but if you have a piece ripped out of you, it will never really heal. You'll just be scarred and every time you see that scar it will remind you of what you lost. I've lost my heart; I'm un-healable.

That night when he left me standing in the parking lot after telling me that he wanted nothing more to do with me, he shot my worn and torn heart into a black abyss, obliterating the familiar ache in my chest; I miss that ache. Now all I feel is emptiness because without him, I have nothing -he was my everything.

"Rio, this doesn't change anything."

I wince at the memory and readjust my defeated position in the passenger seat.

Tyson glances at me and frowns, "You okay Ri?"

Oh how I am tired of that fucking question... NO, I'M NOT OKAY, NOW STOP ASKING ME!

I nod stiffly and try to force a small smile, but it comes out looking like I have a bad taste in my mouth. Tyson makes a face that lets me know that he doesn't believe that I am okay, but he is going to leave it alone for now.

We've been driving back to Westchurch in silence, but unlike the drive up to Herring University with Carter, it isn't tense, it is just silent. I don't want to talk and Tyson is content with just having me by his side so he didn't try and make awkward small talk. Before the whole incident (even though we had made up) things between Tyson and I weren't exactly back on track, but having to throw himself into best-friend-mode after tracking me down in the parking lot at Jade's party, he is my Ty again. If anything good has come out of this whole ordeal, it is that we are back to being besties again -something I didn't realise I had missed so much because...

"Ahh, I see. So this wasn't really about me? No of course not, I mean, why would it be when your social status is more important to you than anything else."

"It's not, you are!"

"I used to be."

Over the holidays, Ty had made the effort to come and see me every few days, and he also made sure that he called me every day so that I wouldn't have the chance to let my sorrow consume me completely –too late. Angelica hadn't liked that much; the distant period between Tyson and I was all she knew, she was used to having him all to herself, but now that I am officially back on the scene again, she has to share 'Sonny' with me -by the way, I STILL think that is a flipping stupid-ass nickname. I want to smack her in the throat every time she says it).

We hit the roundabout and zoom past Westchurch High Street -the butterflies begin to flutter around in the pit of my stomach. We are almost at back at Brompton; I will have to face everyone soon. For the second time in my life, I clench my eyelids together and wish for a secret trap door to magically appear when we hit campus so that I won't have to endure their judgemental stares and hushed gossiping as I walk by. I had made a complete and utter fool of myself at what was the biggest dorm party of the year and naturally, everyone was on their phone in minutes informing the entire cyber world of my endeavours. If they only half rated me before, they didn't rate me at all now.