Ch. 2 | Mixtape.

Music is playing, students are chattering, chanting and dancing, an array of bright colours taking the form of various banners, posters and balloons loom welcomingly overhead to signify the different societies, companies and events; we've just arrived at the Brompton Fresher's Fair. The excitement is palatable as the entire strip is overtaken by casually overdressed Brompton first years.

 "All right, so what am I signing up for again?" Tyson whispers as we approach the diverse Brompton student community. I kiss my teeth -you wouldn't believe that I told him this information when we were in his dorm room all of 5 minutes ago!

"The Afro-Caribbean Society and the basketball team, dummy!" I reply, nudging him with my elbow.

Tyson furrows his eyebrows, "And why do I have to play basketball again?"

I stop in my tracks, fighting back the urge to pop him upside his head again. He is starting to irritate me now. Sometimes explaining things to Tyson is like talking to a 5 year old who has to know everything about nothing!

"Because," I snarl through gritted teeth "you are tall and pretty, and girls like tall, pretty boys who play basketball! Plus it is a very easy way for you to make guy friends. Now shut up and don't ask me anything else!" I continue walking.

As we make it into the thick of the crowd, the stares and curious glances began to travel our way, quickly eliminating any animosity that I had left in my body –I'm a sucker for admiration! I don't know what takes over me, but suddenly I am switching my hips as subtly as I can so that my walk has more of a sexy slink to it, knowing what the smooth swaying motions is make my bum look like in these oh so tight leggings. I make sure to stand a friendly distance away from whom the female student body are most likely labelling as 'Mr Tall, Dark and Handsome', so that people don't get the wrong idea. We can't look like we are together because that will only give the many female frenemies that I intend to make yet another reason to hate me.  At the same time, I can't stand too far away because if the boys on campus assume that Tyson and I are an item, then it will send them sniffing over here a lot faster; after all (as the saying goes), nobody wants somebody that no one else wants.

I look over at Tyson to see if he is noticing the 'he/she would GET IT' looks, but it is as if he is oblivious to the attention. I am throwing around my best sugar and spice smile and Tyson has decided that instead of actually catching anyone's eye, he is going to play with his phone...

Oh my God, this boy is actually a genius! Of course he should be playing with his iPhone; practically all of the Unfamous have one, so by walking with it in his hand he is subconsciously projecting the calibre of person he is to his peers.

I pull mine out, look at the screen and roll my eyes -I want everyone to think that I am reading a message from one of my many admirers who just can't take the hint. In reality I am scrolling through my music playlist and typing in song names to make it seem as if I am replying. God, I'm sad!

"Good thinking," I giggle, nudging Tyson gently. He looks up from his phone as if he has forgotten I am there.

"Huh?"

"I said, good thinking...y'know...with the unveiling of the mighty iPhone," I say doing my geeky jazz hand gesture as I say iPhone. Clearly I have forgotten that I am smack bang in the middle of the Brompton University Fresher's Fair trying to pretend I am one of the cool kids. Cool kids don't do bloody jazz hands...do they?

"They'll definitely think we're one of them now," I grin. Tyson replies with a goofy grin and mimics my jazz hands back to me. I elbow him.

"Give me a break! This is all new to me, remember!"