"Unfortunately I am authorized to bargain directly with the keeper of the house wardings, and so I can enter without an invitation. I just need to complete an errand and then I'll be on my way. I'm not here to cause trouble for my brother." Newt smiled kindly at the boys, none of this was their fault. Theseus probably impressed on all of them that he was the master of the house, but while their father still lived Newt would have as much right as Theseus to use Scamander property.

Finished with his toil in mere moments, the ever professional Linchmead turned on his heel and opened his mouth wide.

"Newton Artemis Fido Scamander, second son of Lord and Lady Blethering."

His voice echoed through the house and with a wince, Newt knew there was no one inside that hadn't heard the magically amplified announcement.

Newt gathered himself, forcing a confidence that he did not feel in the slightest so that he could get through this night. This wasn't his area, but if he could just bluff his way through the next thirty seconds, he'd be all right.

"Master Newton, it will take approximately five minutes to prepare your exception," Linchmead murmured, leading Newt through the entryway, which was thickly decorated with the traditional greenery. So much for thirty seconds of bravery. Newt would have to come up with a bit more from somewhere.

It looked as if they'd packed half a forest full of fairies and stars into the entry. The trees effectively barred the wide marble staircase that swooped up across the right side of the foyer. The ceiling, two generous floors above, was enchanted to show the wheel of constellations, sped up to work through them all before midnight. The doors to the day rooms were closed off to the right, and the dining room door to the left was also shut tight, with a huge spruce tree right outside and holly boughs overhead. In contrast, the doorway to the ballroom was thrown wide open, and light and sound spilled out from within. Newt hesitated at the sensations. Aided by a small but pointed shove from Linchmead, he stepped over the threshold.

All eyes were on him. Linchmead's announcement would have been audible to everyone, and was apparently unusual enough to stop the party in its tracks. The band played on, thankfully, though the jazz music sounded loud over the hushed murmurs of the witches and wizards in attendance. Newt drew back his shoulders, unconsciously imitating his father's posture at state events. If he had to be stared at by everyone while he tried to find her, then he didn't want Tina to see him cowering.

The ballroom decoration was less overstated than the entry, with pairs of bare-branched saplings in great silver planters with glittering lights strung between them and silver and gold furnishings edging the sides of the huge room. The right hand wall was covered in glass doors that let out onto the brightly decorated garden, lit with hundreds of lanterns in silver and gold. In the center of the garden the Solstice bonfire lay, waiting to be lit.

The band was up on a raised platform at the far end of the room, and the space before it was full of couples who had likely been dancing before the unexpected announcement. From the bemused expressions of the muggle musicians, Newt could only surmise that they were all under the impression that they were sharing a very odd dream. The walls nearest Newt had tables heavily laden with hors d'oeuvres pressed against them, and when he looked to each side, he could see that the drinks fountains of Martin's school story had made a reappearance. Tonight one appeared to be flowing with spiced (and likely spiked) hot chocolate, while the other smelled of the fizzing whiskey that Newt now knew to avoid.

Several witches and wizards nearest stared openly at him, small gilt china plates of food clutched in their hands. Newt saw that Cyril Sage-Westley was one of them, but Newt wasn't prepared to greet him, so he stepped out, navigating the crowd easily. Everyone seemed ready to get out of his way. There had to be at least a hundred guests, if not two hundred. Newt tried to keep himself from looking too closely, as he was probably in the presence of most everyone he'd been at school with. For a moment he choked, struck by the thought that Leda might be here. In the same room with Tina. Theseus would find that hilarious and Newt needed to stop thinking about this immediately, before he lost his nerve.