Part 25

The rest of the day passed in a flurry of activity. Newt had a few more easily-harvested potion ingredients prepared to sell at Mr. Mulpepper's Apothecary and a couple of rare birds that the proprietors of Eeylops Owlery dealt in on the side. While Newt was nowhere near the sum he'd hoped to have by the end of the day, he had enough sickles and knuts rattling in his pockets to send Jacob Queenie and Tina to Tierney's Tea Shoppe while he went and had a quick look-in at the rental agency. 

Since it was a Sunday, there was no one in Ravi Renfeld's Rental Office, but still Newt stepped up to the plate glass window covered in adverts, waved his wand, and inquired aloud about the property that Bludger had mentioned the night before. The printed notices rearranged themselves to give him the information he sought. The pictures of the interior looked lovely, showing a large living space and three bedrooms. Newt scanned the notice for the price. 

His stomach dropped when he saw it. Forty galleons! Per month! Newt tried not to gnaw on the tip of his wand in agitation. That place must be a palace! He quickly tried to guess how much Bludger, Martin and the others were paying for a place with an additional room. Far more than his pitiful salary could ever support, that's for certain.

Newt walked back up to Diagon Alley from the rental agency toward the tea shop, but was surprised by Aggie, who shouted him down as he passed the Leaky Cauldron.

"I have the money," he blurted. "For the rooms."

Aggie waved this off.

"I'm glad to hear it. But I've had some late additions to a party that's here for a special meeting. I'll be needing those rooms you're in vacated in the morning. There's some sort of love potion conference, and I've got witches from every corner of the globe arriving tomorrow expecting lodging for their whole party. I've had to do a temporary expansion charm, and goodness knows what I'll do if it doesn't hold."

Newt started to protest—to beg for a cupboard to put his case in at least—but Aggie stopped herself.

"But that's not what I wanted to tell you. Tunsten Tuggley was in today. He said he'd heard that you turned up and he wanted to see you about acquiring some rare stock. He seemed very pleased to hear you were about."

Newt wrinkled his nose. Tunsten Tuggley was a rare animal dealer that he'd done business with once or twice in the past. Since Newt prized conservation over profit, he didn't generally have much to say to the man. But he'd spent a frustrating day scrounging for cash, and now they were about to be turned out of the Leaky Cauldron, so it would be foolish to let this opportunity pass him by.

"Well, I guess I'd better see what he wants then. Did he say where to find him?"

"He said he'd be back later on this evening."

"All right. I'll be in shortly."

Newt went to collect Tina, Queenie, and Jacob from Tierney's. He looked longingly at the extradimensional cream puffs—more filling than you expect!—but decided to wait until later to eat. He'd do better to conserve all their funds if they were going to have to scrounge for lodging the following day.

His friends had settled down into a corner table of the shop where Jacob and Queenie sat with empty teacups before them. Tina was frowning at her water glass and looking a little less present than she'd been for most of the past two days. Newt sat next to her.

"Everything all right, Tina?" he asked.

She looked at him, startled by his sudden appearance. The blank look slowly faded. "There you are. These guys said we were waiting for you to tell us where we're gonna be living."

Newt tugged at his hair and tried to stop himself biting his lip.

"Well, for tonight we'll be once again at the Leaky Cauldron. But in the morning I'll go to see the Minister of Magic, and he'll have to offer us some place to stay since you're here from MACUSA."