Part 61

Rather than cross the distance on foot, Newt apparated directly in front of the waist-high creature who stood hands-on-hips before him. The house elf sported grandiose ears and a neat uniform made from thick crimson and white patterned upholstery fabric. It had matching red shoes and gloves, which were a sign of his high position. Unlike the Blethering house elves, Linchmead had got wind of thirteen-year-old Newt's plan to free him, and had managed to stay one step ahead of him by becoming a guardian of the family's magic, keeping his job and his dignity. Linchmead was no friend, but he would listen to Newt's case as part of his age-old agreement with the Scamander family.

"I would like to come in, please," Newt said courteously.

The teenage wizards in long black robes on either side of the door looked back and forth between Newt and the house elf.

"Erm, could I see your invitation?" The braver of the two, a tall skinny lad with dark hair and olive skin, held out his wand toward Newt in a challenging gesture. The other was pale of hair and face and looked horrified at this turn of events. Newt ignored them and spoke directly to Linchmead.

"I understand that Theseus is currently hosting a party, and that I am not invited. So I must humbly ask you to let me in, just for the time it takes me to find someone and speak to them. He's got my wife, you see," Newt explained. "I am going to meet her, and then I will need a small exception to the security warding, please." He didn't like to say too much in front of the hired help, but it was only respectful to explain his reasoning to Linchmead. The elf shifted, crossing his arms over his thin chest. Newt decided now was not the time to be oblique. This tactic would not work without the elf's help, and it was against Newt's nature to get into a power struggle when simply sharing his motivations might work instead.

"Tina is suffering from a botched memory charm she received in the course of her duties as an auror. She barely remembers me, though I've stayed by her side this past year. A potion she took today adversely affected her, and now she can't even recall the past few weeks. Theseus swooped in while she was confused, taking her and her sister with him and now everything's gone wrong."

The elf raised one brow. Newt bent slightly at the waist and lowered his voice even further.

"I have come up with another plan to help the others, something we haven't tried before. Now more than ever I'd like to see things stabilized." Linchmead didn't seem to be softening, and Newt realized that he'd given the creature no real reason to suppose he'd changed his position on house elf welfare, since the last time they'd spoken Newt had staunchly refused Linchmead's plea for him to bind the three Blethering House elves once more. If crashing Theseus' Solstice party was to work, Newt had to get the guardian on his side. He had only one card he could think of that would matter to a creature whose loyalty spanned generations and admitted, "Tina is pregnant. I'm going to be a father, and there will be another child at Blethering House."

The canny elf studied Newt for a beat, then without responding to anything that Newt said, grasped his hand and pulled him through the double doors. Hoping this meant he had the elf's approval, Newt allowed himself to be led. Linchmead took his overcoat, hat, and scarf, and effortlessly banished them to a closet. The elf nimbly ascended a stool by the door and then attacked Newt with a grim determination to enact goodness knew what sort of appearance spells he'd been aching to try since Newt learned to avoid him as a recalcitrant youth. Newt could hardly refuse him a little vengeance now, though he worried he'd be glowing by the time he reached Tina. He'd certainly never had such clean fingernails before in his life. The rapidity of it all was dizzying.

"Look here Sir, I must see your invitation—" began the dark-haired lad by the open door. Newt had almost forgotten about the "security" wizards. He turned to them. They'd probably been chosen for their height and good looks more than for any magical talent. He couldn't see either of the two making auror at the Ministry.