Part 3

Queenie hung back by the riverbank to whisper to Newt.

"I know she sounds angry," said Queenie, "but like I said, this is the most awake I've seen her. Probably since you left. If she's got to go to London, it's worth a try seeing if we can talk her into it on her own. I know you don't wanna sedate her. I don't blame you. But if it's what's best for Tina in the long run..."

Queenie trailed off, then hurried after her sister without finishing. She was being pretty vague herself. These past few weeks of caring for her sister on her own must have been hard on her. Tina and Queenie had grown up relying on each other, and as Newt had learned in the days after the attack, suddenly being responsible for making decisions for another person was very wearing.

They entered the cottage. Newt knew that though they'd visited with their parents, this cottage had belonged to Tina and Queenie's grandparents and that their aunt had inherited the house in the city as well as the cottage upon Tina and Queenie's grandparent's death, only a few years after the death of their parents. Newt still didn't know why their grandparents hadn't provided for the girls but it seemed like a bad time to ask. He had at last put together that this time they were staying at the cottage without their aunt's permission. For one thing the place looked distinctly shabby in a way that Queenie usually disliked, and for another he could see that the security workings were mangled. Opening spells were not Queenie's strong suit and Tina must not have been up to helping.

Tina led them through the small cottage which did not look like it had ever been the home of two young girls. The furniture was ancient and severe, much of it too large and heavy for the limited space. Tina passed through the more formal dining room and into the tiny kitchen at the side of the house. There were three small chairs were already arranged around a spindly table which was pressed against the wall. Newt wondered if Jacob had been up to visit. For Queenie's sake, he hoped so.

Tina flung herself into the farthest chair with the air of a sulky teenager.

"Well, mister?" she asked.

Newt carefully perched in the chair across from her, setting down his case beside his chair. He tried to meet Tina's eyes, but quickly gave up and looked to the side out the window at the encroaching night.

"As I said, Miss Goldstein, I'd like to help you. You are aware that you were attacked?"

"Yeah. Queenie told me." Tina nodded at her sister, who was setting in motion the spells for tea. "But I don't remember nothing about it."

That was such an understatement that Newt began to chuckle nervously, slightly hysterically.

Tina glared at him. "You think this is funny mister?"

From the far side of the kitchen where she was conducting the orchestra of tea preparation, Queenie paused. "You don't understand Teenie. Newt is really worried about you. You don't remember but you two were real close."

This was patently the wrong thing to say to Tina. Her glossy black eyebrows rose and her nostrils flared slightly, reminding him of an uneasy horse.

"What do you mean close?" She practically snarled. Her hands once again crossed tightly over her chest.

Newt tried to run some damage control. "She means in part, that I was the one—well, the one to find you after your attack."

Tina leaned forward, interested.

"Where did you find me? Were there Dark Wizards there?"

"No. You were alone when I found you. I don't know who attacked you." Newt closed his eyes against the memory of Tina sprawled on the floor.

Queenie interceded, "That's not really important right now Tina. What we need to talk to you about is what we're gonna do to try to get your memories back."

Queenie plucked a cup and saucer from the air as the teapot poured red-gold liquid into it. She looked at Newt and raised her eyebrows. "So tell us honey what is going to happen now?"

Newt swallowed and wished that that cup of tea were already there for him to fuss with while he gathered his words. He had never been particularly good at people and now it seems more important than ever that he not annoy Tina. He needed to be clear.

"We are going to go to London," Newt said in a voice that he hoped was both soothing and firm. "I have found a plant on my journey that may be able to improve the effectiveness of memory restoration potions. I need to speak with the Hogwarts potion master once we arrive in London. He can travel down to meet us at the hospital next weekend. But if we miss him we will have to wait months for his next trip to London."

"So soon?" asked Queenie."Will we be able to get there in time?"

"There's a steamer that leaves tomorrow night," said Newt. "I know it's a rush, but there's very little else to be done if we'd like to help Tina. Which I would like very much."

Newt looked down at the table. He didn't know what he could say that would convince Tina of his good intentions.

Queenie came to the table with the tea service. She passed out the cups.

"MACUSA won't make any trouble about traveling with her?" asked Queenie.

Newt leaned down and began fiddling with his case.

"I stopped in at headquarters directly after I got off the ship. At first I was forced to speak to Abernathy, but once I finally got an audience with the President, she signed the travel papers willingly enough. I have a thick stack of files to personally deliver to the Minister of Magic in London. She also insisted that any travel be conducted along proper channels, with up-to-date documents. Everything has to be done to the letter, so that the Ministry can't accuse MACUSA of anything. She seemed to think that Tina would be likely to start an international incident, but once I told them that there was a chance of Tina regaining her memories they started going on about having a lead to the whereabouts of Grindelwald. Picquery decided it was worth the risk. These are supposed to insulate MACUSA against any accusations of not disclosing relevant information."

Newt held up his hand with a sheaf of papers taken from the Muggle Worthy compartment of his case. Tina lunged across the table and grabbed them.

"Are these all about me?" she asked. "Wow!"

"Wait please," said Newt. Some of the files included pictures of Tina's injuries. "There are some things in there that you may not be ready to see."

A/N: If you have a second, please vote!