Part 19

Jane Moon-Leanfear clapped her hands together.

"Excellent. Then, we have a few things to go over today and then we'll arrange for a home visit for our next appointment."

Newt blinked.

"Wait, that was it? Are you sure? What about Slughorn—?"

The midwife looked at him.

"It's been decided, Mr. Scamander. Please keep up."

She turned back to Tina.

"How has your diet been? If you can't remember the past few months then please relate what you've eaten in the past two days."

Tina's brow furrowed. "I remember eating a bun?" She sounded unsure.

Midwife Moon-Leanfear turned to Newt.

"Since your wife may not be able to keep track of her dietary intake, it will fall to you to help her. Please let me know at our home visit whether or not she has any troubles following the program."

She waved her wand, and a heavy sheaf of parchment landed on Newt's lap with a thud.

"H—home visit?" Newt asked. He felt as if the slight stutter he'd suffered from as a child were coming back. This really was a trying situation. He couldn't even begin to make out what he felt about it at the moment. But this was rather important.

"Of course. I'll need to see the environment where Mrs. Scamander plans to give birth."

"But—but that will be ages from now," Newt started.

"Sooner than you likely expect. Were you planning to return to the States? I understood that you work for the Ministry of Magic. Mrs. Scamander cannot be expected to return to a dangerous job as an active duty Auror while dealing with memory loss and pregnancy."

"No—of course not. Home visit. Right. It's just that, our schedule is very much up in the air at the moment until we discuss the situation with Professor Slughorn again. I had thought that Tina might be staying here for observation while she underwent treatment."

"Here as in St. Mungo's?" The midwife looked extremely disapproving. "Long term hospital care is not in the least the healthy sort of environment that a pregnant mother needs. She'd be best in a place where she could get plenty of fresh air and do a lot of walking. She's strong, and it'll do her good to stay that way for what's to come."

Newt sunk down. "I'm afraid my lodgings are in London—"

"Well perhaps you ought to make other arrangements. Send me an owl in two days and I'll be able to give you a time for our appointment."

She turned her attention from Newt to Tina. "If you have any difficulties, my dear, please to not hesitate to send me an owl. I understand that you may have trouble remembering directions, or even possibly this meeting. I will do my best to look in on you regularly to be certain that everything is progressing well."

She gathered her belongings, stepped up to Tina on the table, and touched her briefly on the forehead with her fingertips.

"Goodbye dear. Mr. Scamander—don't forget. An owl within two days."

She opened the door, and it revealed a surprised-looking Horace Slughorn.

"Where are Queenie and Jacob?" Newt asked, craning his neck to see if they were in the corridor.

"I sent them to find the dining hall. They both looked as if they could do with something," he said. He looked at Jane Moon-Leanfear in what almost seemed like fear. Newt was a little relieved to find he wasn't the only one.