Chapter 21

Rose was sitting on the opposite side of the room from Newt. The entire Hufflepuff House was split with boys on one side and girls on the other. Of course, Rose knew this was coming. The room was in an excited uproar about the years events and had yet to realize that there was to be a ball.

    "Alright, alright, students, if I may have your attention," Pr. Diggory entered the room, looking more frazzled than usual. The room quieted down. The lady caught her breath before she spoke up again, "As you know, the Triwizard Tournament is a time for the three wizard schools to come together in friendly competition and celebration. But one event that comes along with this special event is a ball; and not just any ball. The Yule ball."

    The guys let out a groan as the girls began to whisper amongst themselves. "Of course, this isn't just any ball, it is first and foremost a dance. Considering we are partaking as the host school, the staff finds it one of our top priorities that you are taught how to properly dance," Pr. Diggory smiled. The girls were now giving giddy glances to the boys across the room as the boys were trying to shrink back and hide into nothing. "Alright, Miss Black, as I'm aware, you know the dance?" Their headmaster turned to the girl. Rose took a deep breath as everyone's eyes glanced upon her. "As a matter of fact, I do, Professor," Rose gracefully got to her feet.

    Pr. Diggory seemed to sigh in relief as she turned to the other side of the room, her eyes glancing over the grimacing males, "Alright, would anyone be willing to give a demonstration dance with Miss Black?" "You don't dance?" Rose whispered to her head of house. "More like can't," she quickly replied back before her eyes landed upon one of the boys Rose didn't really know. Though, somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew his first name was Ian. "Ah! Mr. Hawkins! Why don't you come be Miss Black's partner?" Pr. Diggory smiled.

    The boy gave a huff, knowing there was no way out of this, before getting to his feet. The lad was rather tall, almost as tall as Newt, as he had dark brown curls, hazel eyes, and a fair complexion. He stood up straight with a balanced posture as he made his way up to the Hogwarts Champion. The boy, Ian, gave a short bow as Rose gave a slight curtsy.

    "Good, good, now Ian, place your hand on Miss Black's waist and Miss Black will place her hand on your shoulder," Pr. Diggory replied, starting the music. "Would you like to lead, or shall I?" Rose whispered between the two of them. "I can lead, but if you could lead me through the steps as I do, I would greatly appreciate it," Ian gave a friendly smile. Rose nodded before Ian began to guide her across the floor. Rose spoke just below her breath the steps to the waltz they were to dance. Ian was smooth with his movements as he danced with grace and elegance.

    Everyone watching the two were entranced with how gracefully they were dancing. Among them, Newt watched on. Though he was entranced just as much as the other students around him, he began to feel something within the pit of his stomach he had never felt before. He suddenly felt insignificant. He knew that he couldn't dance with that much grace. He knew that he would trip himself, and whoever his partner was to be, up. He felt as if he wasn't good enough for his best friend.

    But at the same time, he couldn't fathom the thought of Rose being in the arms of another man. It made him feel uncomfortable. He knew that Rose was friendly to everyone she met and treated them with kindness, just as he did if the moments ever arose. Regardless if the two of them were awkward during the entire time of other people's presence. Newt just huffed, realizing that he was feeling quite a bit jealous. He wanted to be dancing with Rose, regardless if he made a fool out of himself while doing so.

    The two soon stopped as the room began to clap. Ian kissed the girl's hand softly before they parted. "Alright, everyone! Partner up!" Pr. Diggory announced. The girls rushed to their feet as the boys remained seated. "Would you be my date to the ball? You are quite the dancer," Ian gave a small blush. "I'm sorry, Ian, but I already have a date. I should go practice with him. Thank you for dancing with me," Rose gave a small smile, nodding a goodbye, before heading over to drag Newt out of his chair.