A Proscriptive Relationship: o5

Start from the beginning

“Sorry, we just ran out.”

I heard Mr. Heywood snort from in front of me. I stared at the lunch lady in disbelief. It was just my luck. “I guess a cheese burger then…”

The lunch lady smiled and placed a cheeseburger on my tray. I made my way to the cash register and paid for my cheeseburger. Mr. Heywood was paying at the other one. When I got my change back I made my way back to my table but Mr. Heywood stopped me.

“What?” I asked, slightly annoyed.

“Here,” he said, placing the soup on my tray. “You can have it.”

I looked at him in surprise. “Um, thanks. Why?”

“A thank you for yesterday,” he responded before walking off with a wave.

I frowned after him for a moment. I really couldn’t tell if this guy was nice or not. He seemed nice, but a little pushy. Or maybe he was faking it. I pursed my lips. He was so confusing.

I walked back over to my table where Lance and Willis were talking. Danielle and Sadie were frowning at the pair looking irritated. I watched curiously from a distance for a second before going to sit down. Danielle and Sadie looked at me pityingly.

“You should have waited before coming back,” Danielle told me, stifling a yawn with her hand.

“Why?”

“Listen,” Sadie responded, pointing to the boys who were focusing on the wall on the other side of the lunchroom.

“Ring ring,” Lance said, his face impassive.

“Hello?” Willis responded, his expression mimicking Lance’s.

“Ring ring,” Lance repeated.

“H-hello?” Willis responded, his face still straight.

“Ring ring.”

“He… hello?”

“Ring ring—”

“Okay!” I cried, slamming my fists down. “Must you two mimic stupid videos from YouTube everyday?”

“Oh, chill Holly,” Willis responded, laughing. “You haven’t had to deal with it all summer. I think it’s catch up time.”

“And you have the line wrong,” Lance continued, frowning at me. “It’s: You have a bad connection!’”

I frowned at them as they continued laughing. Sadie and Danielle chuckled as I rubbed my forehead.

“Told you,” they both chorused.

“It could be worse,” I told them. “At least they aren’t reciting the whole video.”

“True,” Danielle responded, nodding her head. “I don’t know how they manage to memorize something like that, but boy do they get everything spot on.”

I laughed. “Are you trying to be Lance?”

“No, why?”

“He uses phrases like ‘spot on’ and ‘grand time’ and ‘jolly good’ because he likes the British stereotype.”

“I don’t use ‘jolly good’, Holly,” Lance interjected, smirking at me. “Nice try.”

I shrugged. “You do use ‘spot on’ a lot.”

“Spot on!” Lance responded, swinging his arm. “Cheerio! Tea!”

Danielle and Sadie laughed while I just rolled my eyes. At least he didn’t get offended when we joked about British pronunciation or anything.