Chapter Twenty-Six: Graveyard

Start from the beginning

They were visible enough that she knew Clark could see them but she hoped above all else that he wouldn't question her on it... at least not yet.

Clark, thankfully, didn't look like he was going to. In fact he had a look in his eyes that she had never seen in them before; something she'd been trying to provoke. It was unrestrained and instinctual... everything she wanted him to feel.

Silvia sauntered back over to him and crashed her lips against his. There was a moment, however brief, where it  seemed like Clark might actually let go but then he jumped back as of he'd been burnt by a raging fire. There was a look of panic suddenly on his face but she couldn't comprehend why.

"We shouldn't be doing this..." Clark said in a breathy tone.

"What do you mean?" Silvia asked, concern crawling into her expression.

"I.... I'm sorry, Sil." Clark's back hit the wall behind him and he took a deep inhale to try and calm himself. "We can't do this, not yet."

Her brows knitted together and her arms quickly went in front of her, now all too aware of the scars that littered her body. "Are you not attracted to me or something?"

Clark's eyes widened and his hand immediately gestured towards her. "Are you kidding me? Of course I am... I know it doesn't make much sense now but I promise I'll explain myself soon."

Disappointment washed over the blonde, gnawing at her with questions she had no answer for. Was his reason really so specific that he needed to dedicate time to explaining it? Silvia could understand if he wasn't ready but that didn't seem like the case and it worried her.

Regardless, she forced a smile onto her face and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Okay, but could you sleep in the same bed as me tonight instead?"

Clark relaxed in her arms and kissed her forehead. "If that's what you want."

Though she had been taken a little off guard by Clark's rejection Silvia was grateful for it later. As they cuddled on the Queen-size mattress she was reminded of the things she still had to tell him. It was probably best that he know the truth before they went too far... and this was even more motivation to tell him.

Silvia didn't sleep. She couldn't. Her eyes refused to close or even look away from the sleeping man. This might be the last time she sees him like this... It might be the last time she sees him at all.

She'd been waiting for the morning for so long that Silvia barely believed comprehended it when the sharp shadows cast by the street-lamps through the blinds started to fade, diluted by the onset of daylight. Then a chorus of birds broke the drone of the city traffic and Clark awoke not long afterwards.

The day was much too humid for Silvia's liking and so she stayed at his house until it started cooling down in the late afternoon. She spent the whole morning trying to build up the courage to admit who she really was to him but it was harder than she originally thought.

It wasn't until she was already out the door and ready to leave that she found the strength, but she refused to do it out in the open. "Clark?" She said in a small, shaky voice. "Can you walk me home?... I have something I want to show you."

Clark's head tilted to the side curiously but he managed a nod. He preferred knowing she got home safely anyway.

The walk was mostly quiet, something unusual for them. Typically Silvia would be asking Clark questions about his childhood and trying to know him even more than she already did, then completely dodge any of his own enquiries. She was scared. If it wasn't obvious before it certainly was now.