Kelly's shoulders slumped slightly. "We never caught any trace of her scent, although we haven't found any Strongholds in the last few weeks, so it isn't like we've come across many humans lately. This area is pretty empty."

"I noticed that," I replied dryly. "What brings you two out this way?"

"We're heading to the west coast," Travis said. "We loved the ocean when we were growing up, so we're going to see if we can find the old summer cottage our parents built."

Kelly shook herself off with a sigh and took another glance at the Terror. "Well, we're going to continue on our way before your friends burn that food any worse. Nice to see you again. You'll have to travel up the coast for a visit one day."

I nodded and watched as they easily disappeared into the trees with a Nightstalker's deadly grace. They didn't bother to hide it like I had been doing this entire trip.

Their short visit and abrupt departure didn't surprise me. Travis had a hard time with his control around humans, so both siblings avoided them as a rule. The lousy excuse of a breeze wasn't even strong enough to tone down the scent of the humans where we had been standing, so Travis would have wanted to get out of the area.

I dusted myself off and headed back to the group that was finally calming down. Daniel scanned the trees as if expecting the two Nightstalkers to reappear.

Taking a deep breath, I called, "Chloe! Come here, girl."

"Why did you attack her?" Daniel asked, still on edge from our unexpected visitors.

I leaned against the truck. "Those were the two Nightstalker friends I mentioned previously. I didn't attack her – that was just a rough wrestling game between two Nightstalkers."

Daniel blinked, but my answer only left him looking more baffled than before. He likely hadn't interacted with enough sane zombies if he thought my actions were odd. Then again, Nightstalkers were probably the only rank that thought tackling a friend was an acceptable greeting.

Marissa tried to rescue the burnt strips of partridge while the others kept an uneasy watch on the trees. Chloe finally came back, peering cautiously around the truck before relaxing and trotting over to sit by Ben's feet. She really needed her taste in companionship reevaluated, although if her nose worked halfway decently, she would have avoided him after his last encounter with beans.

I declined the offered food as the group rushed through their meal. The five men hitchhiking with us were particularly paranoid and kept glancing at the forest as if expecting my friends to return.

We dumped another jerrycan of diesel into the tank and resumed our drive, leaving the empty one behind to allow for more legroom. I gazed at the scenery while keeping tabs on the scents flowing by. No wonder so many dogs enjoyed putting their head out the window; the smells could change so fast. In an odd fashion, it was almost like listening to music.

I might not be able to see much besides trees, but I could smell the different types of shrubs, plants, animals, and – somewhat unfortunately – the stench of burnt partridge on my companions' breath.

Ben belched, and I held my breath to avoid any possible odor. From how Daniel made a face, he hadn't taken such a precaution. After the episode with the beans, I wasn't trusting any gas that escaped Ben's body.

"What the hell was that?" Nicky demanded, staring at him. "I hate to break it to you, but your bullfrog mating call is just about as horrendous as your flirting skills. The only thing you're going to attract like that is a feral zombie."

"I can't help it."

"I think you just lack the appropriate incentive..."

"It has to come out somehow."