Dear No One, The Fault Is In Our Hearts

Somehow Mom and Dad didn't find out I skipped school the day before, but Kevin made sure he was the one to drop me off the next morning.

Climbing out of the car and making my way up the sidewalk and toward the entrance of the school was the easy part; it was facing what I knew awaited me inside the building that had my blood pressure soaring.

Laughs, inside jokes, curious eyes; they'd all greet me when I walked in. I wasn't physically or mentally prepared for that, but that didn't seem to matter. I had to go in sooner or later, and it would be better to face the pain now.

I inhaled sharply, taking in all the air I could manage, before letting it out shakily and pulling the door open. I was greeted by a few stoner's leaning against the door, nearly stumbling back into me and knocking me over as I tried to maneuver through them.

The eyes on me weren't a surprise, not in the least. The silent hall was what had me slowing to a stop as I closed in on my locker, a lump forming in my throat.

It might have been better for people to snicker or laugh, to make a snide comment. At least I would have expected it.

The last time I'd been the center of attention, the person everyone's eyes fell on was after Tommy's death. Only difference was that everyone gave me pitiful looks. Now, most people's faces were unreadable, or maybe it was because I didn't want to meet their eyes that I couldn't see what their expressions were.

"Do you have something to look at?" a familiar voice barked behind me. I heard whispers finally start to erupt behind me before everyone scattered and went back to their lockers or whatever they were doing before I walked in.

Callum stood with his tense back to me, his eyes scanning the room. He waited a couple seconds, made sure everyone was back to their normal routine, then whirled around to face me.

He had his usual black hoodie on, loose blonde curls falling against his forehead as he stared at me with a dark look.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. I shook my head, confused. He had just told everyone to back off, why was he apologizing?

"For what?" I mumbled, taking my stuff from my locker and shoving my backpack into it. I barely had enough energy as it was, I didn't need to be carrying it on my back all day.

"My brother." Callum said quietly, "He's a dick and shouldn't have done what he did. If it's worth anything, I think he made a huge mistake."

**

Cain stuck by my side most of the day, revealing how many classes we really shared. I had spent the last two years so buried in my work that I hadn't payed any attention to my surroundings, more specifically, who was in my classes.

He didn't talk, didn't try to pry or even make small talk. He only kept a steady pace beside me, his eyes ahead of us or occasionally on me. It wasn't until lunch that everyone and everything seemed to fall back into its normal routine. Cain sat opposite of me at one of the tables in the back, propping his chin up on his hand as he stared at his food with a disgusted look.

My eyes started to drift the room, meeting the curious eyes of a few people watching me, before they fell on my best friend across the room. The girl wore my best friend's face, but it was as if I'd never known the girl perched on Jordan's lap.

Her once bone straight dark hair was now shorter, with highlights, and hung down her back in loose waves. She was wearing a pink crop top that showed more skin that I'd ever seen on her. Her skirt was even shorter.