Chapter Six

The sun had barely begun to rise over the horizon when the rumbling came. The sound of metal scratching dirt filled the wasteland.

Everyone in Viowood was wide awake, searching for the source of the sound. After a while gunshots were fired from outside the gates, and everyone began to scramble around. Genesis was frozen in a panic, as one of the compound's gates was slammed open. Arch tried nudging Genesis back inside, but her legs wouldn't move.

City soldiers marched through the gates.

At that time, Genesis found her strength to move. She swerved between shanties, as people shoved past her.

She reached Talyse's shop, only to find it was abandoned. A few screams started to pierce her ears. Genesis started to panic, her breaths rapidly increased and she could feel tears start to form in her eyes.

"Arch. I need you to stay here. I need you to stay safe. Please." Genesis ran her hand through Arch's fur.

The gunshots seemed to block out the screams from before. Genesis pulled the curtain completely closed before leaving the shop.

Outside she could see bodies piling up in the dirt. Genesis's stomach tied into knots and she began to lose her footing. A thought popped into the back of her mind, and she prayed she was wrong.

A couple of soldiers guarded the gates, making sure that no one leaves. Everyone was trapped. Everyone was dying, and it was all her fault. Genesis stumbled forward. Her mind told her to move. To leave. Escape. But she couldn't stand by and watch others die because of her. Genesis ducked behind the nearest shanty and tried to think of a plan. She looked down at her feet and sucked in her breath. The bodies blonde hair clumped to the bullet wound in her head.

"Carter." Genesis sucked in her breath. She peered around the edge of the shanty. Even more were dead, or propped against walls; Struggling, clinging to their wounds. Genesis stifled a sob and resisted the urge to slump down to the ground. She didn't want to go back to Glenn, she didn't want to go back, but she had no choice. It was either everyone else dies and suffers. Everyone she's learned to care about, to love. Or, she suffers. Viowood can pick up the pieces. They can survive without her. They always have. Genesis took a deep breath in. Her hands began to shake, followed by her entire body. She held herself upright, and turned the corner.

Towards the gate. Towards the soldiers. Toward her death.

A couple of soldiers spotted her, and she raised her hands above her head. They circled her, pointing their rifles.

"Genesis Abbott. You are under arrest." One of them shouted. Honestly, she didn't expect to be arrested. Two other soldiers pulled her hands behind her back. Genesis began to sob hysterically. She wanted to keep her composure, but feeling her wrists be locked under the force of soldiers, and being dragged toward a city vehicle. She felt the need to break down, to struggle. She prayed and prayed that Talyse had left in Peter, and that Ryo was somewhere safe with Ira. She prayed that Ryo wouldn't hate her. She prayed that Arch would be fine, and that Ryo or Talyse would take care of him.

The soldiers opened the back door of the vehicle and shoved her inside. Genesis watched as behind her the other soldiers started to retreat. The doors slammed shut, and Genesis could no longer see. She was surrounded in pitch black darkness. Only able to hear and feel the bumpy terrain they traversed on their way back to Glenn.