19 - Festival

"Do you really have to leave again, Vince?"

"That old fart will be returning soon. You don't need me here."

Nanatili naman ako sa bukana ng gubat habang nakatingin sa kanila. Mitsuo did what he said last night and prepared for our departure. It seemed like the jailbreak incident has been controlled but there were still remaining escapees.

After talking to Lionel, Mitsuo marched towards my direction. Our boat was already prepared, along with supplies we would need throughout the trip.

"Let's go," he said and we boarded the boat.

It was weird and awkward. The tension between us has heightened after what happened last night. A lot of things were running in my mind but thankfully, the memories of the prisoners weren't that vivid anymore. It was like a series of nightmare, slowly eating my memories. Kung nanatili pa ako ro'n ng ilang oras ay hindi na kakayanin ng isip ko.

"You should eat," biglang sabi ni Mitsuo at inabutan niya ako ng tinapay. Kinuha ko naman 'yon dahil nakaramdam ako ng gutom.

Tahimik lang kami dahil na rin siguro sa lahat ng nangyari. Hindi ko akalaing mababago ako nang gano'n sa ilang araw na pananatili ko sa lugar na 'yon. It was terrifying. I didn't know that my ability could change and damage me like this.

"You have that ability, too, right?"

Bigla ko namang naalala si Manzo. He confessed his crime and I was ready to take his life but Mitsuo stopped me. I was angry and sad but after that, I forgot everything. When my own memories came back, I felt guilty because I forgot the anger and sorrow I felt for my parents.

"In the end, I still believe that your clan is a threat. I do not care what Hideyoshi think of me. I did it to protect his position and the Miyamoto lineage."

Hideo's clan, the Miyamotos, have been the heart of both Senshins and Shinigamis. After all, Ryou and Shou Miyamoto established our roots. They have been the owners of the throne and power. But to kill my parents because they saw them as threat? That was unforgivable.

"Why are you crying?"

Napatingin naman ako kay Mitsuo at doon ko napagtanto na tuluy-tuloy na ang pagtulo ng luha ko.

"It's just that . . . I don't know how to face Hideo anymore," I said while remembering our childhood.

Hideo has been the brother I look up to, the one I could always depend on. We were each other's partner and the people around us said that we would end up as husband and wife.

"Does he know the truth?" tanong niya.

"I don't know."

Bigla naman niyang hinawakan ang kamay ko at nagulat ako sa ginawa niya. He looked at me with those intense yet worried eyes and I couldn't help but reach for his face. With a simple gesture, he melted some of my apprehensions.

"Hideo is not like me," he said. "I can betray anyone for the sake of my clan but not him. He's even willing to disobey the Council just to find Akemi."

Napaisip naman ako sa sinabi niya. He was right. Hideo has always been the guy who would think about the consequences of every situation first before making a decision. Masakit para sa akin ang nangyari sa mga magulang ko pero ayaw kong masira ang pagkakaibigan namin dahil doon. Hindi rin naman niya kasalanan ang nangyari at ang kailangan kong makausap ay si Sir Hideyoshi. I want to know everything from him.

Naging tahimik ulit kami habang binabaybay ang karagatan. Somehow, the ocean felt more refreshing than I thought it would be. It might be because of my experience in Shima. The vastness of the ocean made me feel free and safe compared to the confined place I was locked in, which was suffocating and depressing. I was used to being alone but staying there without anyone scared me and made me think of my friends. I was really thankful when Naia joined me even if it was only for a few minutes.