Chapter Twenty-Four: Strike

Start from the beginning

"Could be him?" Hal had said when he began walking in their direction.

"No way, Dude. Reaper's a girl!" Richard said positively despite the skeptical look he gave the man. "She has boobs... Have you not noticed that she has boobs?"

"Well, the voice was more of a giveaway for me..." Hal said as the waiter finally turned off from their direction. "But I'm not surprised that's what you first noticed."

Richard had his usual smug expression plastered on his face, one that completely dropped at the next person that entered the building. A girl with long blonde hair and eyes like a crystal lake. For every ray of sunlight that weaved through those strands of gold, her skin got none - she was paler than even he was.

She wore a black tank top that was barely long enough to cover her stomach, and with every step she took it shifted up enough to reveal her hips. On top of this was a plaid, long sleeve shirt that remained unbuttoned and was worn like a jacket. Her hands were rested in her worn-out jean pockets, and her eyes flicked around the room like she was searching for someone.

Richard leaned forward to nudge Hal on the shoulder. "She's totally my type."

Hal rolled his eyes. "Everyone's your type."

Richard grinned but didn't look like he was going to argue against that. Although it wasn't entirely true he would never turn down a pretty girl.

As the woman started wandering through the bowling alley a few of the men turned to look at her, some completely obvious about it and others trying to do it discreetly.

"Ain't that cute." Richard started. "They think they have a chance while I'm here."

"Dick, why are you such a dick?" Hal said, smile widening on his face. "We're suppose to be here for Billy, not picking up random chicks."

"Can't I do both?"

Billy, who had been much more entertained by the conversation going on between the two men rather than his own classmates, stood up on his chair and waved both arms in the air to grab the girl's attention.

Hal and Richard seemed almost confused by this until the blonde girl started walking over to them. They exchanged a quick look but glanced back just as the girl arrived at their shared tables.

"You really came! I thought for sure that you'd change your mind!" Billy cheered.

"Don't get too excited, I almost did." She replied in a voice far too familiar and distinct to be mistaken. It was lower than most girls. It had the slightest rasp to it that made each harsh word sting just that little bit more, and if she were ever to say something even remotely sweet, it would surely sound more like an insult than a compliment.

Billy grinned at the looks on his friends faces and puffed his chest out. He was certainly going to be the cool kid in his group for the next week. "I never told you my name. I'm Billy."

"Of course you are." Silvia smirked. Billy sounded like a stereotypical little boy's name to her.

One of the men stood up and held out a hand. "I'm Hal."

"You don't look any different. I don't know how you get away with it." She said, taking his hand in hers and shaking it. The girl could tell that he was Green Lantern the second she saw him. "Silvia."