Epilogue

SAM CARRIED A FEW boxes of legos. I held new dolls for Megan. She jumped up when I walked into the room. Evan helped Cassie set up the plastic christmas tree in the living room.
    Ringer had finally told me her real name. It was Marika. She also told me about a boy she fell in love with while she was a prisoner in Vosch's base. The baby was a shock to me though.
     The little girl was crying when I saw her, "What's wrong Skylar?"
     Marika named her after a fallen soldier, the love of my life, and the one person who had the courage to give her own life to save the rest of ours.
     I still had nightmares from that day.

     Sam, Megan, and I watched in shock as the mothership that had once been a symbol of our imminent death exploded in a cloud of bright green.
     "What just happened?" Sam asked.
     "We're free." I told him.
     My shock was quickly replaced with horror when I realized what could've happened.
     "We need to go." I stated, grabbing both kids by the wrist and pulling them along.
     "Why?" Sam questioned.
     "They may be hurt." I responded.
     For the hours that we spent walking, I was terrified. I was mostly terrified that Skylar was hurt. Or dead.
     Eventually, we made it to the base.
     "Do we have to go in there?" Sam stopped walking.
     I shook my head. "Make sure nothing happens to Megan. I'll be right back."
     I left them and began my search for Ringer, Cassie, and Skylar. The base seemed empty, but I didn't want to take any chances. I grabbed the uniform from someone who had died in the courtyard and continued.
     It took another two hours before I finally found Ringer lying beside the body of Vosch.
     "I can't feel my legs." She told me.
     Even after being potentially paralyzed, she still spoke as if she could tear my throat out with her bare hands.
     "Where's Cassie?" I asked. 
     "In there." She nodded toward a set of bright white doors.
     "And Skylar?" I added.
     The seconds before her answer seemed to last hours. Every part of me wanted to believe that she had made it, somehow.
     "She didn't make it." She whispered.

     I made my way to the porch, watching the sky. The stars shined so much brighter without the mothership blocking them. I miss you. I felt the tears well up, but wasn't quick enough to stop them. I still love you Skylar. I always will. I won't forget you. There was no way I could.
     When the waves first hit I wanted to give up, but I kept reminding myself that someone I loved may be out there, alone. You were the reason I survived.

EDITED

Is it wrong that I actually cried writing this...

This chapter was Ben's POV if you didn't know.

LEGENDS is completed... Sad ending for everyone, I know.

Make sure to vote and leave a comment saying what you thought about LEGENDS!