15

RINGER DIDN'T WASTE A second. She grabbed my gun and raised it to the level of Evan Walker's face. She knew the consequences of killing him. She knew that Cassie or even Zombie would shoot her for it.
"Ringer." Zombie took two slow, deliberate steps, putting his body in between Ringer and Evan.
"Move!" she demanded.
Zombie smirked, "Sorry Ringer. That's not going to happen."
"Zombie there's no time." she glanced at the window.
I could hear it now. A chopper was approaching.
Cassie gasped, "What have you done? What the hell have you done?"
I could see the outline of the chopper in the dark sky. We didn't have time, Ringer was right about that. When I tuned around, Ringer shot Zombie in the thigh. He fell back into Evan's chest.
"Drop him." she says to Evan, "If you care at all what happens to Cassie, drop him."
He doesn't. We all know she doesn't have enough time for anything else. Ringer realized this too and escaped through the front window.
"Get the kids down to the basement." Evan told Cassie.
I held Zombie upright as Evan worked on bandaging his leg. When he was done we made our way to the basement as well. I set him down in the far corner and sat myself next to him.
"I shouldn't have brought them here." Zombie leaned his head against the wall.
"I should've told you. I knew something was off." I worked on switching the piece of cloth wrapped around his wound for real bandages.
"I'm sorry." he touched my cheek, which was still bleeding along with my nose.
"Don't be." I assured him.
     God, I probably looked like shit. A broken nose and a swollen cheek aren't exactly the most attractive features someone can have, but they seem to be common during an alien apocalypse.
Cassie and Nugget huddled nearby. Evan was halfway down the stairs when the first missile hit. The impact threw him and Megan into the air. When they landed I took the girl and held her close to me.
"You're going to be alright." I whispered, "It's okay."
She was limp. Not dead, but completely still. I covered her when the next blast hit.
Evan stood up, "They came here for one thing. They shot because they assumed I was killed. They thought they failed."
"Evan Walker don't you dare do this." Cassie yelled.
He ignored her. He raced up the stairs even as Cassie screamed obscenities at him.
It took a few hours for us to realize that the squad sent to kill us were lying dead outside. Zombie was the first to leave. I stayed with Megan, Cassie, and Nugget.
Zombie came hobbling back down the stairs. I rushed to help him the rest of the way.
"Did you find him?" Cassie asked.
He shook his head, "Chopper."
"What about the chopper?" she questioned.
"He got on it." Zombie responded.
Ringer was back in the room within the next few moments. She dropped her gun on the stairs and sat at the bottom. This still wasn't comforting. I knew she could kill me whenever she wanted to. I held on tighter to Megan.
     "Grace is dead. Vosch knows we're here. They're not going to send a pod to this territory." Ringer told us. It didn't really surprise me. Why would Vosch risk us ruining something. Again.
     I felt my vision going dark again. must be a mixture of shock, the gash on the back of my head, and my new facial cuts.
     Screw you Constance. I lost consciousness. I didn't have the same dream as last time though, thankfully. I had a normal dream.

     "Who do you think coach is going to bring to Florida for the competition?" my best friend asked.
     I shrugged, "Probably not me. I sucked on Friday."
     "I think he'll choose Lindsay again." she rolled her eyes, "It's so creepy when you really think about how close they are. It's like he was a thing for her."
     "He's like 80." I joked.
     She stopped walking, "Exactly."
     I sighed. Ben's team was practicing on the field. I felt like I could watch him play football for hours, but I had other things to do.
     "Sky." she snapped her fingers in front of my face, "Save your daydreaming for class. Cheer actually matters."
     I smiled, "Yeah and my education doesn't."
     She didn't give me any indication that she was kidding, "Pretty much. You can live without math or science or history or-"
     I  put my hand over her mouth, "I get it." I left her, making my way inside of the school building.
     My asshole of a boyfriend was waiting for me by my locker. A sick grin spread across his face as I opened it.
     "How you been babe?" he leaned over me.
     His breath smelled of alcohol and it was only 4th period. I scrunched my nose and moved away. He suddenly grabbed me by the face and pulled me back to face him again.
     "I asked you something." he said through gritted teeth.
     He was only like this when there was no one else around. He liked to act as if I were a piece of trash on the side of the road.
     I still refused to answer as I pulled away from him. I was done with his shit.
"Don't call me babe." I finally spoke up.
"What the hell did you say to me?" he was shocked by my sternness.
"I said don't call me babe. I'm not yours anymore." I smiled. "Hell, I never was yours."
"You're going to regret this." he told me quietly.
People started pouring into the hallway, "I'm sure I will." I rolled my eyes.

EDITED

Go check out my other stories if you haven't already!

And as always, leave a vote and a comment if you liked the chapter!!