18

IT BURNED. I COULD tell that Cassie was having the same problem. The water burned every inch of skin that it touched.
I didn't wait for her. I launched myself through a window, not caring how high I was falling from. I quickly ripped the uniform off as soon as I hit the ground. My skin still burned, but not as badly as before.
Cassie landed beside me. She had it worse, she was going into shock. Ringer rushed to her aid with her superhuman speed and hurried to get rid of the soaked uniform.
I got out fast enough to avoid soaking my underclothes, but Cassie wasn't so lucky. She had to switch uniforms with Ringer. The water obviously didn't affect her.
I threw Cassie's arm over my shoulder and hobbled after Ringer.
"How are we going to get back inside?" I questioned, "We'll be burned by the water."
Ringer didn't look at me, "I just shut off the water main."
We found the room for Wonderland without an issue, but we couldn't figure out how to get the power going.
Cassie leaned against the wall, pressing a switch and bringing Wonderland to life. Ringer and I strapped her into the white chair and rotate her to face the white ceiling. Everything in the damn room was white.
"Now what?" she asks.
A minute passes, "Ringer." she adds.
"I'm thinking." Ringer mumbles.
"You can't find Evan's memories." I said.
"Even if I could, you don't know that they'll lead you to him." she was talking to Cassie now.
"Give me all of them." she told her.
"Sullivan." Ringer tried to stop her.
"I don't care." she yanked her hands up against the restraints, "I'll go through every one until I find him."
She did. Ringer sent tens of millions of memories into Cassie Sullivan's brain. she began jerking in the seat. Then it stopped. Her eyes fluttered open.
"I know where he is; or where he might be." she told us, "Untie me."
"Don't do it." Ringer whispered to me, "Don't untie her until I tell you to."
I nodded.
Ringer grabbed an M16 and left. I picked up my gun, whatever was happening could not be good. Cassie ripped herself free from the chair and ran to the next room. I stood my ground.

The door bursts open. Evan Walker appeared. I was tempted to lower my weapon, but the cold look in his eyes told me to do otherwise.
"Where's Ringer?" I questioned.
He didn't answer. He lowered his head and charged me. I opened fire, but nothing worked. He threw me to the ground. I watched as blood pooled around my head. Not only had the gash on the back of my head opened again, but new cuts surfaced on my face. My nose gushed blood and I could taste some as well.
I could hear Cassie whimper in the next room. The smallest noise from her was enough to draw him away. He raced to the door.
I allowed myself to slip into unconsciousness. I couldn't bear to watch Cassie's death as well as mine.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." he croaked.
     "Why?" Zombie asked.
     "That could make her take a very deep breath." the silencer continued, "and that would be bad."
     "What the hell are you saying?" Zombie turned to face him.
     "She's implanted, but not with a tracker." I finally realized what Evan was talking about, "The device reacts to our breath."
     "What do you mean by reacts." Cassie stared wide eyed at Megan.
     "Explodes. That's how they took out the camp I stayed with after my parents died." I finished.

     My eyes shot open. The pill, Ringer has one. I manage to stand, Evan Walker was on the ground in a pool of water. Cassie stepped out of the room and toward me.
     I could hear someone talking in the hallway. I grabbed my sidearm and ran. Vosch had his back turned to me, standing over Ringer.
     "This broken body is nothing. It's not too late." he exclaimed.
     "It is for you." she says.
     I take the cue and pull the trigger, killing Vosch.
'ALL ACTIVE-DUTY PERSONNEL REPORT TO BATTLE STATIONS IMMEDIATELY.' The voice was back.
     Cassie pulled Ringer into the Wonderland room, but not before she could give me the pill.
     I knew what I needed to do.

EDITED

I want to cry. The story is so close to the end...

I had been trying to decide what I was going to do with the ending. stick to the book ending or make my own. And I've finally decided. You'll find out in the next chapter. The last real chapter...

Make sure to vote and leave a comment about what you thought!