08

I LEANED BACK AGAINST the seat as Cassie and Zombie caught up. Although it was the middle of the day, I was exhausted. I had to carry a wounded Zombie, we ran through the base to the airfield, and then Vosch started shooting at us. Being in the jeep finally gave me a chance to sleep.

My dad sat frozen even after the water had gone away. Patches hopped out of the tree with me.
     I didn't know how to comfort my father. He loved my mother more than I'd ever love someone.
     "We need to leave." my voice was faded from screaming.
     He didn't move.
     "Dad." I reached out to help him down, but he broke down crying.
     "I thought leaving would keep us all safe." he sobbed.
     "You couldn't have known." I helped him climb out of the tree.
     "I can't lose you too." he was beginning to walk with me.
     "You won't." I promised.
     Who knew I'd lose him first.

     "Sky wake up." Zombie smiled at me.
     "Hey, hot stuff." I smirked, Ringer pulled over on the side of a dirt road.
     All of us poured out of the jeep and sat huddled in a circle. I watched as Cassie pulled a few cans out of her backpack. She distributed them amongst us.
     "I'm not hungry." I handed my can to Teacup.
That was a lie. I hadn't eaten in days, but the memory of what happened to my parents eliminated my appetite.
I sat on the ground, watching the others eat. Zombie joined me at one point.
His expression went soft, "I know what it's like. Losing your whole family."
I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes, "They weren't strong enough. Yet somehow I, a stupid cheerleader, was."
The rest of the group stared at me.
"My life was fine before this." I continued, "My parents were alive, my dog was alive, I pretty much had everything."
Tears were streaming down my face now. Zombie didn't try to say anything to comfort me, he knew it wouldn't help.
A helicopter hummed a little too close for comfort, especially since we were out in the open.
I could see the outline of a helicopter hovering over a barn a few miles south.
We quickly hopped into the jeep again and drove in the opposite direction. Once again, sleep over came me.

My father dragged his feet as we walked down the abandoned road. Patches stuck by me, sensing the grief.
"Let's take a break." he finally spoke up.
The corners of his eyes were turning pink. I expected that it was out of exhaustion.
I nodded, "She's watching over us."
I was never religious, but my family was. They went to church every Sunday and all that stuff.
"Doesn't matter anymore. We're all going to die. All that matters now is when and how." he stared blankly at a lamppost.
Patches climbed into my lap. I was about to settle down when a gunshot broke the window of a house nearby.
My father simply got on his knees and prayed. Sometimes it seemed like he believed he was invincible.
The next shot hit him. He fell forward, hitting his head on the windowsill before collapsing to the floor. I crouched down next to him, trying my hardest to stop the bleeding, but he was already too far gone.
I was alone.

I bounced around in my seat for the remainder of the drive. Zombie had dozed off, laying his head on my shoulder.
The squad, not including Ringer, was playing cards, Cassie told Sam about her journey to find him, and I looked at the trees outside of the window.
The others want this planet. I thought, well they can't have it.
We'd keep fighting until there's no one left to fight for us.

EDITED

I hope you guys are enjoying LEGENDS so far!

If you guys enjoyed this chapter make sure to vote and leave a comment on what you thought.