06

THE BASE RUSHED UP beneath us as the pilot landed the helicopter. Ben was leaning on me as we walked.
What if Dumbo was wrong? What if Ringer missed? All of these thoughts swirled through my mind. Eventually someone in white took Ben from me and escorted me back to the bunks.
As soon as they left I found Nugget tied up in a corner. Really Ben.
I untied him, "When Ben gets back we're leaving."
The little boy looked up at me with a look of confusion spread across his face, "Ben?"
"Zombie." I corrected myself. I had nearly forgotten that people abandoned their names when they got here.
"What's your name?" he questioned.
I hated my name. Private Ghost. It reminded me that nothing would ever be normal again.
     "Just call me Sky." I answered.
     "Okay." he stood up and sat on the nearest bed. I noticed he had picked up a worn down teddy bear.
     I was surprised that he didn't ask about the rest of the squad. I hoped he wouldn't, how would I explain everything to him.
After a little while my exhaustion was taking its toll. I passed out on the floor despite there being maybe a dozen beds.

     Class was weirder than usual, but then again there were only three of us. The teacher sat at her desk staring out of the window.
     "I'll miss you." Natalie told me.
     "It's not like I'm gonna be gone forever Nat." I smiled, "I'll see you soon, how about that."
     "Yeah, see you soon." she gathered her belongings and left despite there being an hour left of class.
     I looked over at Cassie. She kept looking down at her phone, possibly waiting for it to just turn on.
     "So what're you going to do?" I asked.
     She turned to face me, "for now I'm staying, you?"
     "I'm leaving today." I motioned to the two packs at my feet.

     The teacher dismissed us and I ran to the parking lot. My parents greeted me with Patches. I grabbed his leash as we started our walk to somewhere other than our house.
     People were running and panicking. The power outage seemed like the end of the world to them.
     Suddenly, someone slammed into me, causing me to fall and let go of Patches' leash. He got spooked and bolted. When I got back up I ran off after him, but I lost him in a crowd of rioters. I could hear him barking.
     He was lying down, his paw was bleeding and a guy that appeared to be drunk stood over us.
     "Thought he was gonna kill me." he shrugged.
     A sudden wave of anger flooded over me. I punched him square in the nose, which I immediately regretted. My hand hurt like hell. He tried to counter it, but I ducked and pushed him over. Thankfully that gave me enough time to get my dad to pick my dog up and run.
     Mu mom saw my hand, "What the hell Skylar."
     "He hurt Patches." I narrowed my eyes.
      No one gets away with hurting anyone I love.

     Nugget woke me up. It was still dark, but he shook me.
     "What." I rubbed my eyes.
     "I'm scared." he sat down next to me.
     "About what?" I asked.
     "My sister." he responded. He was hugging the bear now. "She got left behind."
     "What's her name?" I comforted him.
     "Cassie." he looked down.
     I was silent after.

EDITED

Omg finally I have updated! I'm sorry it's been so long since the last time I updated, but I've been busy.

I hope you enjoyed chapter six! If you did make sure to vote and leave a comment!