Chapter Seventeen

I moved in with Alex two months later. It's amazing. It's like being teenagers again almost. We don't stop making out or talking. Alex's Family come over once every two weeks and it's nice, on the weeks his family don't come over mine do.

"You look different." Em says one morning.

"Really?" I ask.

"Ever since you and Alex reunited. You look different." She says and smiles. I smile too and look in the mirror, I look happier.

"I guess so." I say.

"So, when is he getting on one knee?" Em asks.

"Not for a while I don't think." I say and Em nods.

"Well when it happens I expect to be at least a bride's maid." She says. I laugh.

"If we are still close you can be my maid of honour." I say and smile at the thought.

"What about your sister?" Em asks.

"After everything she is lucky to be invited." I say and shrug. "But it's not happening for a while." I say and sigh. Even if he asked now I'd say yes. I love him.

"When was the last time we were called to a wedding?" Em asks.

"Two weeks." I say.

"Looks like that is going to change." Em says and shows me the monitor.

"Wow. Laceration of the forehead, thirty year old male. Got hit on the head with the wedding cake ornament." I say and we laugh a little. In this job you have to laugh, or it can really effect you.

We get to the canopy in a rural field and run in. I calm the people as Em looks at the wound.

We get the best man Gavin in the back of the ambulance.

"Will I get stiches?" he asks as I clean the wound.

"Probably." I say as I examine the wound.

"Awesome. I'm going to look badass." He says.

"Or like harry potter." I say and all three of us laugh. "How were you hit with the wedding cake ornament?" I ask.

"I was caught eating a sugar flower off the cake before it was cut, I jumped and it flew."  He says and when he laughs I do too. "Can I get your number?" He asks.

"I've got a boyfriend mate." I say and smile.

"Awe, all the hot ones have a boyfriend." Gavin says and turns to Em. "Can I have your number then?" He asks.

"No, ask one of the nurses." She says as she parks outside of the hospital. I get him inside and we clean the ambulance.

"I love this job." I say and smile.

"You're welcome." Em says. I smile, if it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't be here. "Looks like you have a visitor." She says and points behind me.

I turn around and Alex is walking over.

"Hey." I say and kiss him. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I wanted to visit you." He says.

"I'm just going to do some paperwork." Em says and I nod.

"Do you want a tour of my ambulance?" I ask. Alex smiles.

"Sure, last time I was in there I didn't really look at anything but you." Alex says. I smile and I lead him in.

I explain all the cool things in the ambulance and what everything does. Alex seems interested, surprisingly.

"What does this do?" He asks and pushes a button.

"That." I say as it rolls out some paper, we use it to take notes or communicate to people who can't hear or lip read. The white paper has writing on it. I frown and look at it. "Will you marry me?" I read out loud. I look at Alex then see him on the floor on one knee.

"So?" He asks. "Will you marry me?" my jaw drops.

"Of course I will." I say and hug him. "How did you do that?" I ask.

"Em helped." He says and I see Em come around the corner with a massive smile.

"You knew?" I ask.

"Yep." She says and I hug her. She laughs and I turn and kiss Alex. He puts the ring on my finger.

"Oh my god." I whisper. It's beautiful. It's a silver thin band with a black gem in the middle, it's surrounded by diamonds.

"Like with all of the good things I do the credit goes to Wendy and Em." Alex says. I smile and kiss him.

"You're not that bad." I say and we laugh. We kiss again and I hear the tone saying we need to go.

"Sorry Alex, I've got lives to save." I say.

"Ok, date night tonight?" he asks. I nod and kiss him as I get back in the ambulance.

We speed off and I squeal.

"Calm down, you might have a heart attack." Em says. I look at the ring and smile like a crazy woman.

The emergency is at a care home. An elderly woman has fallen and she hurt her hip.

We are taken to her bed and I go ahead, elderly people tend to like me.

"Hello sweetie, I'm Abigail, I've heard you've had a fall." I say happily.

"Yes dear." She says. I nod.

"She's eighty three." Her husband says from the chair next to her. They hold hands and I smile.

"Would you like some pain relief sweetie?" I ask.

"Yes please dear." She says. I inject her and after a few moments I assess her.

"It doesn't look bad but I think you should get an X-ray just to be sure." I say and smile.

"Ok dear." She says and Em and I help her and her husband into the ambulance.

"How long have you been married? I ask.

"Sixty three years." She says.

"Wow, that's amazing." I say and she smiles and holds her husband's hand. He tells us the story of how they met and I smile.

"How long have you been engaged?" She asks.

"About half an hour." I say and smile.

"That's good. It's longer than me. Me and rich got married straight away, no engagement no nothing." She says.

We take her into hospital and I get ready for date night. Best day ever? I'd say it has been. Definitely.