Chapter 21- Long Ride

Start from the beginning

                Just before my knees crashed onto the pavement Damien caught me. I shook my head rapidly, mumbling ‘no’ over and over again.

                “No!” I said loudly. The shock was replaced with boiling rage and I got to my feet. My vision blurred and I felt the anger burning in my stomach. No. He is not going to get away with this. If he thinks I’m going to let him take my mom… I straightened up in Damien’s arms.

                “I’m going.” He growled lowly in my ear and tugged me closer. David shook his head and I set my jaw.

                “No Cassie. I just got you back and there is no way in hell I’m letting you put yourself in danger again. You scared me to death when I walked in that room and… you were on the floor…” He trailed off and tightened his hold on me. My face softened as I turned toward him and placed my hand on his cheek.

                His eyes met mine and we stared at each other intently.

                “I’m sorry Damien. I know that I put you through hell and if I could I would go back and fix everything I did. But I’m not going to stand by while my mom is being held hostage because of me. She needs me and I’m going to help her. Nothing you guys say or do will stop me.” My voice was strong and determined.

                I looked over at David and saw him running a hand through his hair worriedly.

                “It’s dangerous Cassie and-“

                “You think I don’t know that? I will help her even if it means putting my life on the line for hers.” Damien snarled again and I shot him a pointed look. I know he doesn’t like it but he’s going to have to deal with it. He glared angrily for a moment but then his eyes softened and he rested his head in the crook of my neck.

                I wrapped my arms around his waist and closed my eyes.

                “I’m coming with you. I am NOT letting you go alone and that’s final. I don’t want to hear any arguments.” I nodded against his shoulder and he sighed deeply. When we pulled apart David came forward to hug me again.

                “I’m coming too.” I managed a small smile and took a shaky breathe. I may have sounded confident before but I’m honestly terrified. What if they hurt her? What if we don’t get there on time and…

                I shook my head and shoved those thoughts to the back of my mind. It’s not going to help anyone for me to be stressing out about these things. Mom is in trouble and she needs my help. That’s all I need to be concentrating on.

                I ran a hand through my tangled hair and looked down at Damien’s shirt and the jeans that I’m wearing. I don’t know who the jeans belong to but they fit pretty well.

                “I need to make some arrangements and then we’re leaving.” Damien told us. I nodded and then he went over to meet Jeremy when he came bounding down the porch steps.

                I gazed at the pack house, feeling fear and nervousness squeeze my chest. They’re not going to accept me back. I’m not fit to be the Luna.

                Before I could think about it further Damien was back by my side and pulling me toward the limo. A few of the pack members followed behind us. They kept their eyes down for the most part as we walked. I think they’re coming with us for protection purposes.

                “We’re going to the airport.” I didn’t say anything but nodded yet again. I’ve been doing that a lot today.

                We got into the limo and everyone else other than Damien, David, and I sat farther up. I guess they’re trying to give us some privacy. I sat by the window with Damien to my left and David across from my seat but still facing us.

                I stared out the window and when we started moving my stomach started doing backflips again. My mind reeled over everything that has happened and what I’m going to do when I have to meet him. Damien must have felt my nervousness because he began rubbing circles into the back of my hand.

                David leaned back and closed his eyes. He must be exhausted. I got enough sleep on the drive to the pack house. I felt Damien’s eyes on my face but refused to look at him. If he sees the fear in my eyes there’s no way he’ll let me do this. I sighed.

                This is going to be a long ride.