¤ |Lost| ¤

How? How could my life come to this? The thoughts swarmed my mind as I sat there, in the midst of a forest on a small island, Cairnholm. My parents were dead. Nobody would help me, only say 'Oh, your 15, your old enough to take care of yourself.' Well fuck being old enough, that doesn't change the fact that my parents, Rian and Mira Lockwood, had gone missing, soon to be found laying on a beach with blood pooled around them.

But no, its fine apparently. I stomped my foot on the ground, anger and fear clouding my thoughts. Here I was, sitting on a rock near a cave. Not just any cave, but the cairn itself. I decided to be an idiot and peek in, seeing the darkness expand for a bit before opening up, light filtering through from a crack in the ceiling.

I stepped inside, shivering as the cold air hit my arms. I was only wearing a pair of leggings and a tee shirt for Pete's sake. Wind howled outside the cave, having picked up in the small amount of time i had been sitting there.

Shadows were cast across the ground, gravel and rocks lining the walls. I walked deeper in, feeling a twinge of doubt before shaking my head, pushing the thought away.

'What do i have to lose?" I thought to myself, taking cautious steps inward. The cave turned a bit before stopping abruptly. I frowned, placing my hand on the cold wall. "Well thats no fun.." i murmered, startled my the sound of my voice. It echoed around the cave eerily, sending shivers up my spine.

The temperature underwent a startling change, only noticable to me because I was very sensitive. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, taking a cautious step foreward, my footsteps tapping against the ground.

I stepped out of the cave, immediately noticing the immense change in weather.

I had only been in the cave a few minutes, if even, and the sky was clear, the temperature humid and birds chirping. My gaze traveled suspiciously to the ground, seeing that it was dry and grassy. 'Something isn't right...'  I thought, raising my eyebrows.

This all seemed...familiar. I thought back to the days I spent with Grandma Margret of the stories she told us. Then it clicked. The loop, the hidden entrance. It all made sense, but how? I was an ordinary person, no different from anybody else, but i distinctively remember Grandma telling us that only peculiars can enter a loop.

There was one thought, a striking, unbelievable thought. 'Could I be peculiar...?' I dismissed the thought, shaking my head. 'No, just merily a weather change...a drastic one, but a change nonetheless...' I shrugged and began walking down the trail, by braid bouncing against my back.

I reached the town, panting. I looked around, raising an eyebrow at the horse drawn wagon being pulled down the cobblestone street. Hope flickered in my chest. "Maybe..." i whispered, "Maybe I am peculiar...special. " Doubt overcame the hope, but it was still there, a tiny flame crackling in a dark cave. It lived, and it wouldn't be extinguished anytime soon.

I ran back down the trail, my eyes gleaming. I stumbled a few times, but regained my balance before I fell. But then realisation struck me. Why would they, the peculiars that had stayed hidden from modern folk, suddenly welcome me into their home. I frowned, my eyebrows dropping and hands sinking to my sides. "They wouldn't..." I murmered.

I ran back to town, a bit annoyed by the repetitive behaviour. I walked briskly down the narrow streets, turning into an ally and starting down it, contemplating whether I should leave or not.

Footsteps sounded behind me, quiet at first but getting louder and more vigorous. I whipped around, my eyes locking with a tall, beautiful girl with fiery red hair and black gloves. Her face was determined, a knife in her hand. "Don't move," she started, creeping towards me, "And i won't hurt you." My first instinct was to run, to sprint away from this foriegn girl and never look back. But I listened, standing still, my blue and brown eyes following her movements cautiously.

She grabbed my wrists, placing the knife on my throat. "Move and i will cut you." She growled into my ear, dragging me to a wagon where a few other people were awaiting her arival.

They all groaned. "Olive!"

She looked over at them. "What? She isn't a normal resident!" She looked me up and down. "From the future too!"

One piped up. "She looks...depressing." i raised my eyebrows, unfazed.

It was a normal observation, i was fully clothed in black, exept a small, rose necklace that hung from my neck. The others nodded in agreement. "Like Enoch!" An invisible boy commented.

I frowned. Enoch had always been my least favorite, although his peculiarity was unique and cool, he always seemed like a total douche.

They argued amongst themselves, causing my fear to turn to amusement as i watched them, throwing opinions and facts at eachother. After a bit, they all agreed and turned to me. "Get in the wagon, were going to see Mrs. Perigrine."

(And thats it for this chapter! I may have another published today, not sure!

Love you guys, stay peculiar
     ~Anabelle