The Christmas Party

"A drink, Captain?"

Jim looked over at the bartender from his seat, flashing him a crooked smile.

"I'm alright thanks. I got way too drunk at the last Christmas party, it was a terrible idea."

The bartender laughed along with him and he felt his tense muscles relaxing. He always grumbled about the crew insisting on throwing all these parties, but he did enjoy them.

"JIM!"

Bones plopped down into the empty seat next to him and grinned, clearly already drunk.

"Drink with me?" Bones asked and Jim shook his head, the bartender laughing again as he left to talk to someone else.

"Can't. I want to keep my head clear."

Bones snorted. "Right, you know your the only one here who won't be pissed within a hour right?"

Jim rolled his eyes and Bones shook his head suddenly, giggling. "Well, you and Mister boring, no fun, green blooded asshole over there. I actually don't hate him that much, he amuses me. Ya know? You're the same. A complete pain the ass, but I love you. Platonically of course. Although I do love your butt in a not so platonic way, but I think everyone loves your butt in a not so platonic way. Anyway, I'm gonna go dance."

Jim ignored his friends drunken rambling, his eyes and thoughts immediately going to the Vulcan.

Spock was standing by the wall across the room from Jim, glaring around at the loud crowd.

Jim scowled, why did he even come to these events if he hated them so much? It's not like anyone was forcing him to.

Spock's eyes suddenly met Jim's and there was a tiny shift in his expression, but Jim couldn't tell what it was from across the room.

He looked away almost immediately, annoyed that Spock had caught him staring. Stupid, pain in the ass Vulcan.

He started up a conversation with the enthusiastic ensign next to in attempt to distract himself, but he couldn't stop the memories flashing through his mind.

The two men stood facing each other in silence, the flickering candle light illuminating the uncharacteristic shock on the taller mans face.

The seconds stretched into minutes as Jim began fidgeting uncomfortably.

He had planned this moment for months. The simple vegetarian meal, the table set for two, the candles, even the conversation topics.

Then the most important topic.

He was so sure Spock felt the same way he did. Everything pointed to it - his reaction every time Jim brushed his arm, the way he looked at him, his willingness to spend almost all of his free time with him.

After all that, had he miscalculated? Was that just Spock's way of showing friendship?

Something in Spock's expression changed and Jim took a small step forwards as his face tightened.

"Spock?"

Spock turned and left the room without another word, leaving Jim standing there with an open mouth, open hand, and open heart.