39 Weeks

"You called the doctor?" I ask. "And You asked Chip to come get Sophia later?"

"Mariska, you asked me that ten minutes ago." Chris says. "The answer is still yes."

I hands on the counter, laying my head on top of my arms as another contraction hits.

"You're alright, babe..." Chris says, rubbing my back through the contraction.

I groan slightly as the contraction ends.

"Baby, it's not too late, we can go to the hospital." He says, taking my hand.

"Chris we're not going to the hospital..." I say shortly.

"Honey, the last ultrasound you had was at thirty five weeks and she was already seven pounds. Dr. O'Hara said if you made it to forty weeks she could be up to eleven pounds." Hs says.

"Good thing I'm not forty weeks pregnant." I say.

He rolls his eyes.

"You're thirty nine weeks pregnant." He says.

"Exactly." I say.

"Mariska, we can still go to the hospital, you can still have a C-section, it's not too late." He says, rubbing my back.

"Chris, I'm not having a C-section." I say pushing him off, "I'm never having another C-section."

"It might easier on your body this time..." He says, helping me sit down on the couch.

I rest my hand on my belly, feeling her kick, wincing at the pain.

"A C-section is never easier on your body." I say.

"You're saying a 20 minute surgery is harder on your body than giving birth to a ten pound baby?" He asks.

"That's exactly what I'm saying." I argue, "I won't be able to bend over for months. The incision doesn't heal for at least three months. You have to be in the hospital for at least five days, usually longer, and it makes everything big harder. It makes nursing harder, I won't be able to take care of her without you helping me stand up, without you helping me walk. And of course delivering any baby is hard on your body and I'll be sore for a couple weeks. But I'lol be able to pick her up. I'll still be able to take care of Beth, Sophia, August, and Dante."

"Honey, are you sure?" He asks.

"Yes, Chris, I'm sure." I say quietly, "I know it's gonna be hard, and I know it's gonna take a toll on my body, but I don't want to have a C-section, I still have the option to deliver her--"

I take a sharp breath in as contraction tears through me.

Chris takes both my hands as I whimper softly.

"Babe, those were only seven minutes apart..." Chris says, concerned.

"I know..." I say, taking a deep breath.

"Mama..." Sophia says, running down the hallway. "Will you read me a story before bed?"

"Soph..." Chris says quietly, "We gotta let Mama rest..."

"But, Dad..." She whines.

"Sophia..." He says, pulling her into his lap, "Mom hurts right now, we gotta be gentle and quiet okay?"

"Is my sister coming today?!" She asks excitedly.

"I think so, love..." He says quietly.

She has a huge grin in her face.

"Mom... Can I name her?" Sophia asks curiously.

Chris laughs.

"She already has a name, Honey..." Chris says.