The First Night

^^ The Apartment

I give my hair the final touch and grab my purse, kissing August, who's sitting in his highchair.

Peter walks out of the kitchen, a towel over his shoulder and flour dusted on his shirt.

"You going somewhere?" He asks.

"It's Wednesday." I say, checking my watch. "Chris and I have lunch every Wednesday, you know that."

"Right." He says, "Lunch with Chris."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"Nothing." He says

He kisses my forehead and I cringe at the gesture.

"I love you, I'll see you later." He says.

"See you later." I mumble as I dash out the door.

I get in the car and the driver pulls out of the garage, already knowing the way.

"You seemed stressed today, Ms. Hargitay." He says, "Something weighing on your mind?"

"There's always something." I mumble, reapplying my lipstick.

I get out of the car, thankfully unnoticed by anyone else.

I walk into the restaurant, bypassing the hostesses desk, but waving at her, knowing Chris will already be at our booth in the back.

He smiles happily and I feel the stress of today and the stress of my news melt away. I sit next to him and he kisses my cheek.

"Bad morning?" He asks.

"No, I'm okay." I say, "I just really needed to see you."

He pulls me into a hug and when I pull back he drops his arm over my shoulder as I rest my head on his chest.

"You really don't seem okay." He says softly.

"Really Chris, I'm fine." I say, leaning farther into his embrace.

We order food, talking about our kids, about our lives, about my work on the show.

"You know, I wish you'd come back." I say.

"I've been thinking about that a lot lately." He says, "I'm glad you brought it up."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, lifting my head from his shoulder.

"I made a couple calls. And when hiatus is over in two weeks, I'm back full time. Benson and Stabler together again. With a little something extra this time."

"A little extra this time?" I ask.

"I've been working with the writers, in the return episode, Stabler'll come back, confess his love for her and sweep Benson off her feet." He says, "I wanted to surprise you."

I wrap my arms around his neck. I pull back smiling wide.

"And this way I'll get to spend a little more time with my girl..." He says, pulling me back into his arms.