Monterey

I woke up this morning and forgot where we were. It took me a second but as soon as I heard the waves crashing on the shore I remembered. Monterey, California. I feel Chris shift slightly under me. I was almost completely on top of him. We hadn't moved all night. We're still in the dead center of the bed and Chris's hand was still on my bare ass.

"Morning, beautiful." He says, his voice still raspy with sleep.

I smile as I lean up to kiss him.

"My beautiful wife..." He says, kissing down my neck.

I swear to god I'll never get used to hearing that. I'm his wife. Chris is my husband. At 6 o'clock last night Chris and I were married.

We had a tiny wedding in a judges chambers. I wore a white shift dress that came down to the middle of my thighs with wedges and Chris wore khakis and a white button up. It was so simple, just Diane and Tamara and our kids, but it was so much more beautiful than my first wedding.

An hour after we had hopped on a plane to California.

We were renting a house right on the coast. I can see the waves crashing from the bedroom window.

We only had two things planned for the whole week, sex and the beach. No pressure, no plans, and hardly any people around. No one goes to the beach in March. Except me. I love it. The fog and the clouds over the ocean.

I glance over at the clock 9 am. The latest I've slept in in years.

By the time Chris and I get out of bed it's 11 already.

He makes me wait in bed while he makes breakfast. I sneak my phone off the nightstand to call Diane.

"Rish, wasn't expecting a call from you..." She says sarcastically.

"Very funny." I say with a dry laugh. "How are the kids?"

"They're fine." She says, "You don't need to worry about them."

"Diane my daughter is 8 weeks old, of course I'm worried about her." I say.

"Beth is happy." She says, "August and Dante are napping, and Sophia is making cookies with Tamara."

"I owe you." I say with a laugh.

"Don't worry about it." She says kindly, "Enjoy your honeymoon."

I hang up just as Chris walks in the door with pancakes and coffee.

I smile taking the coffee and plate from him gratefully.

I take a few bites before my stomach starts to turn.

I throw the sheets back and jog into the connecting bathroom to throw up.

Chris comes in after me and pulls my hair out of my face and brushes my bangs off my forehead.

I sit back in my heels and wipe my mouth before I realize I'm going to be sick again.

I sit back again, letting Chris pull me into his lap.

"You alright baby?" He asks softly.

"I don't know what's wrong with me." I say quietly, taking a deep breath. "That came out of nowhere."

He kisses my temple and helps me to my feet.

He leaves me alone so I can brush my teeth. I take a deep breath and drink some of the water that Chris brought in. I look at myself in the mirror and smile slightly.

I barely recognize myself. There's just something about me that's completely different, not in my body, but in the way that I carry myself. This is happiness. I'm genuinely happy.