(Chapter 10) Flying Lessons

Start from the beginning

"UP!" Everyone shouted, I saw Harry's and Malfoys broom jump to their hands at once, but theirs were one of the few that did. Hermione's broom simply rolled over while Ron's broom smacked him in the face.

Mine simply didn't move at all, "Up," I called at the broom, but it didn't even budge. Hazel managed to get it on the second try, I tried again and again but no luck, soon I got annoyed at the broom. "UP!" I yelled casuing some students to jump, the broom jumped to my hand and started lightly shaking. I smiled in triumph and waited for out next instructions.

Madam Hooch showed us how to mount our brooms without sliding off, when Madam Hooch told Malfoy that he'd been doing it wrong for years, the Gryffindor's and a couple of Slytherins laughed at his reaction. "Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off hard from the ground," instructed Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and come strait back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle- three- two-" but before she could finish, a boy already flew up. "Come back, boy!" she shouted, but he was rising higher and higher. After flying and bumping into the castle he suddenly fell, I couldn't see it clearly since I was in the back and kids were blocking my view from the scene. "WHAM" a thud or more like a nasty crack, he landed on a heap of grass face down.

Madam was beaming over Neville, her face was as pale as his. Students began to gather around them some were snickering while other looked worried, Hazel and I was standing in the back trying to take a glance at the scene. "A broken wrist." Madam Hooch muttered, "Come on, boy it's all right, up you get." She turned to the rest of t he class. "None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can 'Quidditch', come on, dear." She told us and left with Neville. "I'm going to follow them, see you at the common room Hazel," I whispered to her, she nodded and turned towards the Slytherins who were laughing at what happened.

I dropped my broom and followed them to the hospital wing, "Lucinda, what are you doing here?" Madam Hooch questioned me still holding the now crying boy, I smiled sweetly. "I just wanted to help, after all we only have about 20 more minutes left of class. I also have some connections with Madam Pomfrey, she's really busy at the moment and I'm her helper." I answered and we continued walking to the hospital wing.

I opened the door and walked to one of the unoccupied beds, "You can place him here, return to class after you're done," I instructed. Soon after she left I called for Madam Pomfrey, "Poppy!" I called, she quickly came rushing to the bed the boy was at. "Is there something wrong dear?" she asked worriedly, I lightly took Neville's broken wrist, "Yes, he broke his wrist today during flying lessons." I quickly said. she took look at it and went to fetch bandages and a bottle medicine, she quickly came back and handed me the supplies. I gave her a confused look, "Why are you giving this to me?" I asked, "I've seen your medical skills Lucinda, you can handle it, and I also need to tend multiple patients that got hurt earlier on today," she said quickly and walked to the other occupied beds, I sat down in a chair and heard multiple kids were groaning in pain while some were crying.

I wrapped Neville's wrist with bandages and fed him the medicine Poppy gave me, "T-thanks for h-helping me." he stammered, I smiled softly at him. "Don't worry about it, your free to go in about in hour." I said and stood up from my chair, "Why are you being so nice, I thought Slytherin's were mean and evil," said Neville softly and shrunk into the pillow, afraid if I would hurt him for saying that. I place my hand lightly on his wrist, "Not all Slytherin's are mean and evil, they sometimes just wonder off on the wrong path because of prejudices and blood status." I spoke softly and smiled down at him, "Well umm, I'm Neville Longbottom by the way," he smiled and held out his good hand. "I'm Lucinda Sparks." I replied and shook his hand.