22. pinky promises

guess who's back,

back again,

i am back,

tell a friend.

IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END!

Chapter 22

Harry and I haven’t seen each other at all today. No texts, no messages, nothing. I wasn’t sure if I was overreacting or anything, but I just don’t want to lose Harry again, as a friend.

After all the conclusions swirling around in my head, I decided to just go for a walk. I bundled up for the winter air, and left the house. Against all the voices in my head, I decided to call someone I haven’t talked to for a while.

I dialed the number on my phone, surprising myself that I still remembered it, memorized it.

It rang a few times, no one picking up yet. Before I could even press the call end button, a familiar voice resounded in my ears, and took the place of the constant robotic ringing before.

Hello...”

“Um, h-hi, uh is this Connor?” I replied, stuttering beyond belief that I’m hearing his voice right now. On the phone his voice sounded a bit deeper than when I last spoken to him, but that was weeks ago. Before I moved he went to visit his grandparents at some other town, which resulted in him not saying goodbye to me before I left. The more I think about it, he probably doesn’t even know what happened between Taylor and me.

“E-Emma?” He stuttered too, probably surprised I bothered to even call him since it’s been how long.

I guess something snapped between the both of us, and our continuous stuttering demeanor changed to our voices screaming into our cellular devices.

“Connor! Oh my goodness! It’s been so long since I’ve heard your voice! I thought you probably died, or your grandparents killed you!” After I said this, I could hear his familiar chuckle on the other side of the line. By this point I neared the park, and I sat down on a bench, not bothering to brush off the snow perched upon it.

“Oh how can you think of such a thing!” He overly exasperates, then purposely gasping into his phone. “Grans can’t even hurt a fly!” We both laugh at how foolish we’re being. I miss this. I don’t remember the last time I’ve felt so free and when I ever laughed this hard.

You did this with Harry, my subconscious adds. I stay quiet, not realizing that Connor was still on the phone.

“Emma? Emma? Are you still there?”

“Yeah sorry Connor, um what’s up? Anything that I’ve missed besides your welcome home party,” I say, an awkward laugh escapes my lips, hoping to relieve whatever tension I started, but it only made it worse.

“Are you okay Ems? The only thing that you’ve missed is probably me,” he continues, making me laugh once again. “But, I started seeing um- there’s this girl and-“

Before he could even finish, I bombarded him with questions. “Really? Gosh Connor! Why didn’t you tell me before? What’s her name? Does she go to our school?” I kept asking him questions, wanting to know every single detail.

“Jeez Emma! Take it down a notch yeah?” My unceasing questioning was halted, me mumbling a Shut up at him. “But yes, she does go to our school, and I couldn’t tell you because your arse got pulled hours away from here.”

“Hey no name calling and it wasn’t my fault my dad is successful at his job! In case you were wondering, you didn’t answer one of my questions yet. What’s her name Connor?” I scream into the phone.