6. the news

Chapter 6

We both stand up and head towards the door. “Anytime. I do understand you didn’t actually skip class and I don’t have to do any investigating?” He says in a business tone voice, but cracks a smile at the end.

                I just nod as a reply and head out of the door that Mr. Harrison is holding open.

                When I look straight ahead my mom is already here, but a familiar male is standing right next to her.

Emma’s POV

Dad? I know he never gets off work unless this is some really important news.

Once we catch each other’s eyes, I sprint to him and he catches me in his arms. My dad is a really famous doctor and has graduated from numerous schools, earning many awards through his education. He operates on some of the most famous people of the world, or people that associate with them. We moved to London because he was transferred to work at a hospital here and some other clinics around this area.

“Darling, I’ve missed you so much!” He says, as he squeezes me closer into his chest.

As I broke away from our hug, I finally asked the question that’s been bugging me since I stepped into Mr. Harrison’s office.

“So, what’s going on…?” I trailed off, not sure if I want to know the answer.

“Let’s go home and we can talk there.” My mom finally spoke up. She stressed the word “talk”, implying that we still need to discuss last night’s happenings.

Oh boy.

~

As we drove home, I texted Jenna that I will be missing the rest of the school day. She told me that people have been questioning why she’s hanging out with me, and I soon realized that people would bully her too, just for being my friend. She then reassured me that everything would be alright and I prayed that she would be okay, regret already flooding my senses.

We finally arrived home and we all exited out of the car. I don’t recall the last time we all, as a family, have been in a car and home all together without going somewhere just a few minutes after one of us arrived. Anxious of what’s to come, we all stepped through the doorway without a word. Finally, I broke the awkward silence between all of us.

“Anyone care to explain why you pulled me out of school and why dad is here and not rushing to pull out someone’s organs?”

“What, I can’t visit my own family?” My father replies with a look of sorrow and guilt clouding his features. I adore my dad, it’s just he doesn’t make time for his own family. It’s always work, work, and work. I appreciate everything he does, but now it’s like he’s not here anymore, when in reality, he really isn’t.

“You could’ve done that without pulling me out of school. So what’s really going on?” I question once again, hoping for a truthful answer.

This time my dad didn’t answer me, but my mom did instead. “Emma, I noticed how distressed you were last night, and I hope everything is okay.”

I knew something is up. “Mom, hurry up and just say it. This isn’t really helping the situation.”

She clears her throat before speaking up again, “You know how we moved here because of your father’s job, that you should be grateful for, since it has been paying off all of our needs. Well he’s being transferred again and we’re moving with him.”

Before she even started her last sentence, I knew where this would be going. Moving, again? My thoughts were interrupted by the same voice.

“This could be another good start with you. Last night’s events informed me that things aren’t going well right now. Maybe, you could start new, start fresh.”