20. nicknames and fun games

Chapter 20

Emma’s POV

Ever since that night, me opening up to Harry, our friendship has been getting closer. The cracks from the past are being molded together again, and I’m not sure if it’s good for me or not. He makes me feel like I’m a kid again, carefree when I’m around him, but lately, I’ve been paranoid like someone’s been watching me.

Sometimes Harry looks away from me, or starts pushing me away and blocking me out for no reason, but then, it’s something snaps in him and he goes back to his old self. I want to find his reason behind everything, but I don’t want us to go back to step one again.

All these thoughts are running through my head as I put my books away in my locker, when suddenly, a hand taps my shoulder. I close my locker before turning around and locking eyes with the girl from the library.

“Hi, um, Emma right?” she started.

“Yeah, hi…” I trail off.

“Camryn,” she finishes off for me.

“I’m sorry I just never caught your name when we hung out,” I reason, while flashing her a smile. “But how did you know my name?” I ask.

“Well, you are the girl Harry Styles has his eyes on, and you’re the talk of the school. You’re supposedly the “childhood best friend” of the Harry Styles,” and she kept rambling on, but all I caught was that.

Was this really what people thought about me? “Whoa, wait, wait, wait,” I interrupted her. She mumbled a small sorry before I reassured her that it was okay. “Is Harry worshipped here or something?” I awkwardly laugh at the end.

“You could say that. I mean all the girls are into him.”

“So, you have a crush on Harry?” I ask her, a small uncomfortable feeling erupted in my stomach when she said that. I noticed the small blush in her cheeks, but they soon went away when her hands shot up in mock defense.

“No! No, no, no way! I’m not one of those girls; I mean I eat in the library every day at lunch, alone!” she kind of rambled again.

“Okay, calm down, Cammy. Do you mind me calling you that?” I ask her. She nods her head as an okay signal, but then a question pops into my mind. “Wait, why do you sit by yourself in the library at lunch every day?”

“Well, um, not that many people like me here,” she says while looking down, but she wasn’t finished. “Talking to me right now will probably get people to laugh at you too.”

“Why do they laugh at you? I like you.”

She mumbles something that I didn’t catch, so I ask her to speak louder. Her reply made me laugh so hard, I dropped my books on the floor.

“They what!” I say in between laughs. Her head snaps down again, and I notice what I’m doing just now. “Wait! Cammy! I’m not laughing at you; I’m laughing at the fact that people make fun of you because your name is Camryn.”

She looks up again, and starts laughing with me. “I know, I know, it’s stupid.”

“People are so stupid,” I join with her. “Now let’s go to the library for some lunch.”

We sat down at her table, because it was closer to the door when I remembered she wanted to ask me something at my locker.

“Wait, why did you stop by my locker again? Not to be rude or anything, but I never gave you the chance to finish what you were asking me.”

“I was going to ask you about that new kid,” she replied. When she noticed my confused face, her eyebrows twisted in bewilderment. “The one with the golden hair or something? I thought you guys knew each other since he’s always looking at you from afa-,” but Cammy was cut short when a familiar set of voices came out of nowhere.