Chapter 9

They'd called it Hanahaki disease, Phil had learned. A condition where flowers bloomed like mad inside the confides of his lungs. The cause? Unrequited love, and that made Phil quite a bit more than sad.

Dan really didn't like him that way.

After searching again the night Dan had unintentionally rejected him for hours, he'd came across a fairly legitimate-looking website. It listed all of the symptoms of this said disease (Phil had each and every one of them) and the cure for it. That was one of the scariest parts for Phil.

Spend thousands of dollars on the surgery, and lose his love for Dan with it. Not only did he not have near that amount of money, but he was terrified of not loving Dan anymore. Call him selfish all you'd wish, but that was really all he knew nowadays. To him, it would be like losing a loved one, because he technically was.

So, Phil knew what was bound to happen shortly. He still didn't tell his poor parents about what he had, nor a certified doctor. He'd simply write a note explaining why his parents had most likely found him in his room one morning or late afternoon with a pile of bloody flowers and petals around him.

He just hoped it came later, rather than sooner.