Part 6: Mature; Jarvis - 1991

With his life back in order, Horatio was once more enjoying a successful career as a social worker. He worked in downtown Toronto. Brendan was an archivist for the City of Toronto, and also worked in the downtown core. This allowed the two of them to have lunch together every day. Often they would go for walks and explore new areas of the city that they had never been to.

On this particular day they decided to visit the greenhouses of Allan Gardens.

"Are you sure it is safe to go to that area? I've heard that it is dangerous," Horatio told Brendan.

"Oh please. Don't you worry; I am a seasoned city explorer. And besides I grew up in Urbia. Little can scare me," Brendan answered.

They both began to laugh.

"Yeah, you're right. If we can survive Urbia, we can handle anything," joked Horatio.

They walked along Gerrard Street and then turned up Jarvis Street. On either side they looked at the derelict buildings of the downtrodden neighbourhood.

"You know, this used to be the most exclusive street in the city," Brendan explained.

"Really?" Horatio answered.

"Yes. In the late 1800's, the wealthiest families lived on either side of this boulevard."

"That explains why there are these big old houses."

"Exactly. Just imagine. They used to be single-family homes. Today they have been subdivided as rooming houses because they are too large to maintain."

They were now approaching Allan Gardens. The greenhouses stood out in prominence at the centre of the park.

"It is so sad when a once beautiful area falls into disrepair. Just looking at this still standing solitary greenhouse is tragic," he said.

"Yep, it is one of the few outstanding vestiges of the once grandiose nature of this neighbourhood."

They crossed the street and entered the park.

"Do you think Urbia could ever become like this? You know derelict?" Horatio asked.

"It is hard to say. I doubt that the people who lived here would ever imagine that their magnificent adorned houses would one day fall into a condemned state. Just imagine how tragic it would be if they saw this place today. Just look over there – what once was a luxurious living room is now a corner store."

"Yeah."

The two of them entered the greenhouse and made their way through the different areas. Horatio's favourite part was the cactus room. There they found a moment to sneak a kiss. The summer sun made the greenhouse very hot.

"Let's get out of here. I think I am starting to cook," Horatio said.

They left the building and took in the hot, but cooler, summer air outside.

"Just think, the wealthy residents that lived around here would come to the park in their best clothes for an evening promenade," Brendan explained.

"Today they would get mugged," Horatio joked.

"Yeah, and accosted by hookers."

"Things really have changed."

The two men made their way to the south end of the park. Then they turned down Sherbourne Street, and looked with disdain at the boarded up houses. They also admired the once lavish mansions with the tall trees above.

"I love these old streets," Brendan said.

"Yeah. I love our street in High Park."

"That's why I always loved the old farmhouse in Urbia."

"It was the only house that had real character."

"I hope it doesn't fall into disrepair like these old dames."

He pointed to a house with a sagging porch and a Rooms for Rent sign in the window.

"You know, I still love Urbia. I just think that Dad got it wrong. He built hundreds of houses that all looked the same. They have no charm."

"Those were different times though. It was the era of the Brave New World. Society was looking forward, not backward. They did not want to build neighbourhoods that looked like this. They wanted to build houses that were forward looking."

"You're right. Urbia is just a product of its time."

"Yeah...I will have to return some day."

"You will not recognise the place, my love."

"At least you have been back."

"I don't know if I like how much it has changed though."

They walked back towards the core. It was starting to get overcast.

"You know what I miss about Toronto?" Brendan asked.

"What?"

"The sounds and sights of building activity. It seems that just yesterday the place was abuzz with new construction of towers and buildings. Now with the recession, that has stopped."

"When we had construction we complained of all the noise and dust. Now we miss it."

"It's true. You know, the other day I walked by the site of an office tower. They were actually dismantling the cranes, and the building isn't even complete."

Horatio nodded his head.

"I wonder how Villeneuve is doing?" he queried.

"With Dagny at the helm? I am sure we have nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, I think they now own a third of the towers down here anyway."

"It has been so long since we have seen her. How is she?"

"I dunno."

"Since she rose to power it is hard to get hold of her."

"It is like she is one of the skyscrapers. She is always in view, but hard to get to."

"Yeah, you need an elevator just to reach her."

"...Which is permanently broken."

They both chuckled.

As they rounded the corner they were able to take in the city. The cloud cover was very low. In fact it completely enshrouded the upper floors of First Canadian Place and the taller skyscrapers. It was as if they had disappeared. The view before them was ominous. The site made both Horatio and Brendan's hair stand on end.

High above the city Dagny looked out of her window, but could not see a thing for the clouds. On her desk was the latest earning report for Villeneuve. Moments before she had slammed the report closed. Inside it had shown her that Villeneuve had seen grave losses in profit over the past quarter. The reality of the recession was finally causing fissures in the foundation of her empire.