Butterfly - 1967

"Come on Dagny; the commercial should be coming on soon," Horatio shouted to his sister who was in the kitchen.

Sandford and Horatio were sitting in the living room awaiting the debut of the first television commercial for Urbia.

"I'm coming. I just want to grab a snack," she yelled back.

Dagny hurried into the living room with a box of Cracker Jack's. She sat down on the couch next to her father and she curled her feet up under her body. At that moment the commercial came on. All three of them perked up.

The scene opened with an overhead shot of Urbia.

"Just west of the Metropolitan Toronto area a new city has been built," the announcer began. "It is a city that provides a place to live, work, learn, and play. When completed it will be the size of London, Ontario."

Footage of Urbia streetscapes, the industrial area, and the shopping centres played out on the screen.

"A superior quality of life is provided for the residents of this suburban Arcadia."

The extensive parks and greenbelts were shown; One scene showing teenagers playing baseball, and in another, children enjoying the playground. The camera zoomed in on a bird chirping. Then one of the model homes was shown. Sandford walked into the scene.

Horatio gave a gasp of glee when he saw his father on the screen.

"Hi, my name is Sandford Cohen, and I am the visionary behind Urbia. Next year we will be celebrating our tenth anniversary since the groundbreaking of the city. Over the past decade the city has grown in leaps and bounds, proving to be a success. It will continue to grow and provide everything a resident needs, right in the city itself. There has never been a better time to buy in Urbia. I invite you to take the time to come visit our model home parade, and see, first hand, the life that you and your family can have."

Then a jingle was played:

"Perched on the edge of Metro, is a place where you will want to go...and live! That's right! Live like a king and queen in Ur-Bi-A!"

An animated couple dressed like royalty was shown in front of a Villeneuve house.

"Urbia is just 30 minutes northwest of Toronto. Exit Highway 401 at Dixie and travel north past the airport. Then follow the signs."

An animated map of Urbia was shown. Then the commercial was over.

Horatio began to giggle.

"We have a jingle?" he remarked.

"Don't you like it? I find it catchy. Live like a king and queen in Ur-Bi-A!" Sandford began to sing.

"Oh dear," Dagny piped in.

"What? Didn't you like the commercial? It sure cost us a lot of money," Sandford stated.

There was silence.

"So...?" Sandford prodded.

"Well, it is not the worst commercial I have seen," Horatio humoured his father.

"What does that mean?" Sandford asked.

"It is just, so 1950's," Dagny explained.

"1950's?" Sandford asked.

"Yes. It seems so old fashioned," Dagny said.

"But it is supposed to be. We are selling the good old fashioned family values of Urbia," Sandford said.

"I guess that is what sells. But couldn't you make it less..." Horatio began.

"... Square," Dagny finished.