Chapter 21 - New York, New York

United States of America
July, 1806

"HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!" The city seemed to shout. It was early July and the city was hot. The sun shone brightly through the sky as people stayed under umbrellas or in buildings. But it was loud. People were singing and dancing inside their places of solitude, celebrating their freedom from the British.

Lucy was standing in a kitchen, kneading dough for a loaf of bread. She, along with Erza and Juvia, had found work in an orphanage. They were surrounded by children constantly and the pay wasn't good. But they were provided with food and shelter and that was all they really needed. A young girl sat on the counter next to Lucy, she had a cup of lemonade in her hand and sweat dripping down her forehead. She hardly ever left Lucy's side.

"Miss Lucy?" She asked, "what are you doing?"

"Making bread."

"Why?"

"So we have bread."

"Oh. Okay." The girl was named Margaret, she was an Irish immigrant whose mother died on boat. Her father couldn't stand the thought of raising a child on his own and left her on the door step. The only way you could guess she was Irish was the fact that her skin was covered in freckles. Neither of them could say much. Lucy knew only a little English and because the orphanage was in a German area, Margaret knew more German than English. Lucy wouldn't tell her she knew German, they both needed to learn English.

Margaret was lifted off the counter when Erza stepped inside. Margaret ran off out of the kitchen towards the, "music room," where the older kids would play music after dinner. Erza filled a cup with water and leaned against the counter where Lucy was working.

She took a sip of water and said, "I found your book." Lucy stopped kneading the bread and looked over at Erza. Erza was dressed in a dirt stained, blue dress and her hair was tied up with a piece of ribbon. Lucy's book was something she started during the ride to America and had just finished it the other day. Erza smirked as she placed her cup down. "It was good."

"You read it?"

"Of course! But the title needs some work, Rags and Riches, might not be the best."

"You shouldn't just read my things!"

"I should when they're good! Lucy, you could have it published and make so much money!"

"I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"Women can't write. I shouldn't have ideas or thoughts, according to men. I should be here, cooking or sewing or having children."

"Can't you do those things and publish stories?"

"I don't think so." The two were silent for a moment. Erza thought for a moment and stared blankly at her now empty cup.

". . . Being a woman isn't all that fun."

• • •

"Read to us, Miss Lucy!" One of the children asked. A boy, Benjamin, held up a children's book. A story about a princess and seven dwarves. Lucy hesitated but agreed to tell the story. She sat down on the floor next to the younger children, an older one sat next to her to help her with some of the words.