Chapter 2 - Secret

Lucy woke the next morning to the sound of sleigh bells and greetings from servants outside her room. It was Christmas morning. She sat upright and scanned her room.

Her dark, wooden floor was clean and the green and yellow stripped walls were covered with different pictures and a tall mirror with an elaborate, golden frame. She stretched and sat on the edge of her bed. She had changed into a night gown the night before and her blonde locks were under a nightcap.

She stepped onto the floor and shivered. The floor was cold. Of course it was, it was barely ten degrees outside and there was hardly any heating. She threw on a white and golden robe and a pair of slippers and stepped out of her room, making her way to Natsu's. But, she also needed to make her way to the kitchen, which would be even more difficult than just the walk to his room.

Good morning, Lucy!

Good morning!

How did you sleep?

Terrifically, thanks for asking!

Merry Christmas, Lucy!

Merry Christmas!

What's the rush, Lucy?

Eh, my father, I want to see how he's doing.

The last one was a lie. Yes, she wanted to know if her father was alright, but she needed to sneak Natsu out before anyone knew she was hiding him in the estate. The closer she came to his room, the less servants there were. She reached the room with no servant in sight. She sighed gratefully and opened the door.

She came face to face with a half dressed soldier. His lower half was dressed in beige pants and tall, dark boots. He had a white dress shirt in his hand, a coat and vest were laying across his bed. Being the era it was, seeing a man half dressed was something more intimate. Lucy blushed madly abd stuttered as she tried to speak.

"I-I am so sorry, Sir Dragneel! I didn't mean to-," She quickly apologized, but was stopped as Natsu slid on his shirt.

"It's okay, don't worry about it." He quickly put on the vest and coat. As he buttoned the coat, Lucy noticed something; she never brought him clothes.

"Who brought you the clothes?" She asked. Before he could answer her question, a servant stepped out of his bathroom.

One of younger, female servants, named, Lisanna Strauss. The youngest of her siblings and the more collected of the three. She was about Lucy's age of seventeen with big blue eyes and short white hair. She curtsied when her eyes picked up on Lucy's presence.

"Good morning, Miss Lucy."

"Why are you in here?" The question was rushed.

Lisanna replied tentatively,"I noticed a trail of crumbs and dirt coming down the hallway this morning. As I was sweeping them up, I noticed they lead into this room. When I found Sir Dragneel, I grabbed him a set of clothes and food. I hope that's alright, mistress." Lucy sighed in defeat. She shouldn't have let him take those pastries. Instead she should have forced him to walk around in the clean snow to clean the dirt off.

"Did you tell anyone he's here?" Lucy asked.

"No, I assumed this was a secret," Lisanna stated. Lucy sighed again, this time in relief. Lisanna was a smart girl. She picked up on the signs. The fact he was in the room farthest from the Count's. Along with the fact that his uniform had been folded and shoved under the bed when Lisanna found him attempting to hide in the bathroom.