Chapter 20 - Travel Through Europe

Russia •

Everyone wanted to join in when they heard about Lucy's plan. Mostly Wendy, who wanted to see New York and Philadelphia. She also wanted to visit all the warmer countries of Europe. They left as soon as they could. Erza in lead the group back out of the country. "I grew up walking around this area, I know where we can and cannot go," she informed everyone when she insisted on being the leader.

No one really believes her until they made it across the border without meeting up with any one who seemed or clearly was threatening. When they entered Europe, Zeref was sent to the back of the group.

"Am I supposed to be the sacrifice?" He asked. Wendy shook her head as everyone nodded. "Why? I've done nothing wrong! In fact, I should be in the middle! I'm the sick one here and-, none of you are listening." Everyone ignored him as they pulled their way through Easter Europe. He was the only one who ever complained during the trip.

Austria •

The Austrian Empire had shrunk tremendously in the past few months. With the rise of France, large portions of Europe had become part of the country. Early one morning, Erza stood by a river as she read a map.

"If we leave now we could be in Germany by night fall." She stated. No body heard her. Wendy had taken her sleeping bag and was deeply asleep. She was laying in between Gray and Gajeel; who were, "protecting," her from Loke. He was laying a few feet away from them, his boot was missing and blanket taken away from him during the night. She turned around and found Lucy pulling her musket off of her hoarse. "What are you doing?" She asked.

Lucy turned to her and went silent for a moment and stood completely still. When she got her voice back, she said, "I need to go home?"

"Home? Do you mean the estate?" Erza asked her. She nodded. "Lucy, you can't go back there! The French took over the estate! Your family was killed!" Erza exclaimed. Lucy nodded.

"I know that. But I need to see it for myself." Lucy said. Erza wanted to argue. She wanted to get through Lucy's stubbornness and willingness and convince her to stay. But she knew that Lucy wouldn't let her do that. Instead, Erza grabbed her musket and went with her.

• • •

More memories were scattered across the city than Lucy thought. She remembered meeting Natsu on one corner and sharing her honey buns on the next. Of course now it was warmer, considering it was late April. Levy's bakery was closed, but she was still inside. Lucy could see her sleeping next to a case of cakes and macaroons. She didn't attempt to knock and kept walking towards the estate.

She didn't know how to feel when she saw her home was now just a pile of ashes. She felt a mixture of sadness and relief fill her knowing the French were gone and that the building filled with memories was now pieces of burnt wood.  Erza stayed silent when Lucy climbed up the fence and ran towards the empty area. She continued to stay quiet when she came back with red eyes and a dirty uniform, along with a broken, dirt covered porcelain doll. They went back to the camp with the only words exchanged being, "are you okay," and, "yes."

• • •

Gajeel was missing that morning so no one could leave until he came back. When he did, he had Levy under his arm. "Shrimp's coming with," he said. Levy would've groaned in embarrassment but was occupied with running into her best friend and crying with her. No one argued with Gajeel. No one ever really did. If they wanted to live, they kept their mouths shut. Because he came back so late, they wouldn't leave until next morning.