Back to School...

Narrator's POV

Once the Malfoys dropped Harry and Draco off on the Hogwarts Express, the two boys made their way to their usual compartment where their friends were waiting for them.

Pansy, who was leaning on Louis —her soulmate— looked up at the duo and said, "Hi, Guys!"

"So, Lockhart is the new DADA teacher." Luna asked "Everyone knows the a lot is cursed, so whatcha think is going to get rid of him?"

"Well, Qurriell was actually the Dark Lord in disguise. So maybe something crazy like an angry vampire or something." Victoria replied

"Yeah. Hopefully this one won't constantly stare at me." Harry joked

***

The group of seven Second Years and two Seventh Years made their way into the castle with the other children

After they sailed past the lake, they walked into the school and into the Great Hall where the teachers —except Snape— were waiting.

The students found their appropriate tab,e and sat and the First Years were sorted.

After the new students sat down at their new house's table, Dumbledore began to speak, "Welcome students to another great year at Hogwarts! Gilderoy Lockhart is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Remember that Forbidden Forest is forbidden for a reason, no magic is to be used in between classes, and First Years cannot join Qudditch Teams. Thank yo-" Dumbledore said, stopping when Professor Snape walked into the hall dragging  Weasley, Finnegan and Thomas by the ears

"Headmaster Dumbledore, I found these three outside. They've crashed a Muggle car into the Womping Willow. I hope you'll expel these boys."

"Calm down, Severus, I'm sure there is a normal explanation to the cause of this." Dumbledore replied

"Headmaster, we missed the train because the passageway to Platform 9 3/4 wouldn't let us through and by time we got inside the train was gone." Seamus explained "And Ron thought we could catch up with the train if we borrowed his parents car."

"See, Severus, perfectly normal explanation." Dumbledore replied, returning to his speech, "Let the feast begin."

The Slytherins were not even surprised as they ate their meal: if Ron hadn't been the Boy-Who-Lived and a Gryffindor he would gotten expelled or at the least lost his house a lot of points, but no, Dumbledore thought his precious Golden Boy could do no wrong.

Rumor that night said Ron had also broken his wand in the crash and couldn't get a new one.

***

The next day at breakfast, Ron got a howler, "RONALD WEASLEY, STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE AND WE RECEIVED LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU, DEAN AND SEAMUS COULD HAVE DIED! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED —YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT SO MUCH AS ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME. And Ginny, dear, congratulations on being sorted into Gryffindor your father and I are so proud."

A few people laughed but talking  and eating quickly resumed.

***

On their last class of the day, Herbology with Ravenclaw, Professor Sprout was standing behind a trestle bench in the cen ter of the greenhouse and about twenty pairs of different-colored ear muffs were lying on the bench.

When Harry had taken his place between Draco and Hermione, she said, "We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Man drake?"

To nobody's surprise, Hermione's hand was first into the air.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative." Hermione replied "It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state."

"Excellent. Ten points to Slytherin." Professor Sprout replied "The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?"

Hermione's hand shot up again.

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it." Hermione answered

"Precisely. Take another ten points," Professor Sprout replied "Now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young." She pointed to a row of deep trays as she spoke, and everyone shuffled forward for a better look

About thirty little plants, purplish green in color, were growing there in rows.

"Everyone take a pair of earmuffs," Professor Sprout reminded

There was a scramble as everyone tried to seize a pair that wasn't bright pink.

"When I tell you to put them on, make sure your ears are completely covered," Professor Sprout instructed, "When it is safe to remove them, I will give you the thumbs-up. Right - earmuffs on."

Harry snapped the earmuffs over his ears —luckily, they shut out sound completely— and Professor Sprout put the pink, fluffy pair over her own ears, rolled up the sleeves of her robes, grasped one of the tufty plants firmly, and pulled hard.

Instead of roots, a small, muddy, and extremely ugly baby popped out of the earth, the leaves were growing right out of his head and it had pale green, mottled skin, and was clearly bawling at the top of his lungs.

Professor Sprout took a large plant pot from under the table and plunged the Mandrake into it, burying him in dark, damp compost until only the tufted leaves were visible.

Professor Sprout dusted off her hands, gave them all the thumbs-up, and removed her own earmuffs.

"As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet." Professor Sprout calmly said "However, they will knock you out for several hours, and as I'm sure none of you want to miss your first day back, make sure your earmuffs are securely in place while you work. I will attract your attention when it is time to pack up."

"Four to a tray - there is a large supply of pots here - compost in the sacks over there - and be careful of the Venemous Tentacula, it's teething."

She gave a sharp slap to a spiky, dark red plant as she spoke, making it draw in the long feelers that had been inching towards her shoulder.

Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Draco split into one group while Pansy, Theo, and Luna joined Blaise Zabini.

The quartet had gotten their tray and focused on their Mandrakes —Professor Sprout had made it look extremely easy, but it wasn't.

The Mandrakes didn't like coming out of the earth, but didn't seem to want to go back into it either.

They squirmed, kicked, flailed their sharp little fists, and gnashed their teeth; Harry spent ten whole minutes trying to squash a particularly fat one into a pot.

After class everyone was covered on mud and went to clean up before the Dinner Feast...