Godric's Hollow...

Narrator's POV

The day Harry Potter was born was a warm Summers day in 1980.

On that same July 31, Tom Riddle had his very first dream.

It was common knowledge that you shared your dreamscape with you soulmate and that you could communicate with them by using it, but for the first fifty-four years of Tom's life he never dreamed —until that fateful Summer day.

On this night, Voldemort had found the blank dreamscape with the small, crying bundle floating around.

Tom allowed himself a small smile: he did have a soulmate; he wasn't going to be completely alone in life.

As his soulmate grew, the dreamscape began to fill itself with things the child liked like brooms and other Qudditch things —and Tom grew hungrier and hungrier to know more and more about his other half.

He wanted to find something that would give him a hint to who his soulmate was.

It wasn't until a year later, did Tom get a glimpse at his soulmate's parents, Lily and James Potter.

Lord Voldemort knew he needed to find the Potters quickly, before they could turn his soulmate against him.

Then, on Halloween night, he was able to find the Potters who were hidden by the Fidelius Charm, and the secret keeper, Peter Pettigrew —his servant— gave him the location.

***

The Dark Lord blasted the door open as James Potter shouted, "LILY, TAKE HARRY AND RUN!"

"Harry, that's my soulmate's name —beautiful." Voldemort thought to himself, raising his wand and with two words and a green light, James was dead.

Lord Voldemort walked up the stairs to follow the woman who had decided to hide in the child's nursery.

While he walked towards the nursery, Tom contemplated which one of his followers he would allow to raise his soulmate: Lucius and Narcissa had a son of their own, Draco, but he didn't want Harry to have the Malfoy arrogance; Bellatrix and Rodolphus had a son as well, Neville, but the LeStranges did have a insanity streak; Barty was raising his goddaughter, Hermione, since her parents were killed by the Order, but he was also a little crazy; Xenophilous had a daughter of his own, Luna, but the Lovegoods were also crazy, and Xenophilous was also still mourning his wife, Missy; and Evan and his wife had a child of their own, Louis, who was five and they were capable to raise Harry without any personality problems.

He decided Evan would probably be the best choice, but first he needed to get his little soulmate.

In the nursery, Lily grabbed James' invisibility cloak and wrapped Harry in it, hoping that it was enough to keep at least him safe.

The Dark Lord walked in not even a second after Harry was hidden in the closet, wrapped in the cloak.

"Not Harry, please not Harry." She begged. "He's barely a year old, he's no threat."

"Stand aside, you silly girl. Stand aside, now." Tom ordered, remembering Severus' pleas to spare her

Her body shook, her eyes streaming with tears "Not Harry, please no, kill me instead."

He annoyedly tsked as he fired his wand causing the green light and the woman collapsed to the floor.

Lord Voldemort then turned his attention to the closet, he opened the door to see the child's head poking out from the invisibility cloak.

He gently picked up the child —who was still wrapped in the cloak— and began to walk out of the house's wards to apparate away.

But before he could leave the wards to apparate them both back to the safety of his base, he was met face to face with Albus Dumbledore.

"I never assumed you to be a kidnapper, Tom." Albus taunted

Before Lord Voldemort could react, Dumbledore pulled out his wand and fired the Killing Curse at them.

Tom knew he only had seconds to protect Harry, for he knew his horcruxes would prevent him from dying.

He quickly placed his magical shields around the child, and Harry was protected from the curse, but Tom was ripped from his body and become a phantom like being.

***

Once the Dark Lord defeat was heard, the Wizarding World hailed Ron Weasley as the boy-who-lived and their savior against the defeated Lord Voldemort.

The story Dumbledore had told the public was: after killing the Potters, the Dark Lord went to the Burrow to kill the child of the prophecy, but he was destroyed instead by a rebounding Killing Curse.

Only Molly, Arthur, and Dumbledore could testify saying that it was true since the other children —save Ginny— had been trick-or-treating with the Tonkses.

The Dark Lord's Inner Circle claimed Imperius in order to be ready for their Lord when he returned, but some of members from the Outer Circle did not, thus being thrown into Azkaban.

And poor Harry was carelessly left with his Muggle relatives without a second thought...