Running Out of Time

4 Days Later (Day Before Emily's Birthday 11/18/2016)

Emily POV

"Yo Ethan party at your house tonight yeah?" Noel chuckles and pats my shoulder, making me smile, "hell yeah man. We gotta get back to our battle. See if you can beat me this time."

Noel laughs, "bro you were on that keg for 45 seconds!"

I nod with a proud smile on my face, "practice makes perfect." Alison walks into the cafeteria so I nod at her, "catch you later man." I dap him and jog over to Alison with a smile on my face. "Hey you," I say and kiss her cheek.

Alison smiles up at me, "hi handsome. Happy almost birthday." She pecks my lips, only making me smile more and cup her chin, "hi gorgeous. Almost thank you." 

Her giggle blesses my ears and she grabs my hand. "It feels like just yesterday we were terrified little freshman walking through these halls." I frown, furrowing my eyebrows, "we knew each other freshman year?"

Alison looks up at me, then laughs, "you're funny Ems."

I stare at her and let out a fake laugh as we sit down, "yeah. That's me. I'm all full of funny today," I glance at Hanna and signal to her to help me.

"Hanna you remember freshman year? Emily's pretending she doesn't. You were dating Ben. Now look at where you and him are." I turn back to Alison and she's laughing, but stops when she realizes I'm not laughing with her.

"Oh my God. You seriously don't remember."

I frown, "I just...I dated Ben? Ben Coogan?"

Alison scoffs, "yes? I know he was a sucky kisser Ems but come on. You guys dated for 6 months. Have a little respect." 

I stare at her, tilting my head before she raises an eyebrow, "you don't remember. Okay...what do you remember from freshman year?"

I think really hard and see me somewhere completely different.

I walk through the halls with my two best friends Mark and Derek. We laugh with some girls we just met. "Hey freshman party this Friday. You in, Ethan?" A girl, Alyssa, smiles at me, batting her dark brown eyes at me flirtatiously.

I feel my cheeks heat up as I smile shyly, "sure. I'll be there."

"Good."

"Who's Alyssa?" Alison scoffs and I shrug, "a girl I hooked up with freshman year."

"No. Emily you claimed to be straight as a pin freshman year. You were hung up on Ben. And who the hell is Mark and Derek?" She frowns and Hanna coughs, "uh Ems. Are they the people you met at that summer camp you went to?"

I look over to her, feeling Spencer and Aria staring at me suspiciously too. Hanna gives me a look to agree so I nod, "oh yeah. That must've been it."

"Bullshit. Emily didn't go to a summer camp that summer. She came to Cape May with me and my family. I remember that perfectly. That was the summer I thought I was pregnant? Ring any bells?"

I try so hard to remember but there's nothing there. This has been happening for the past week. I've been losing all of my memories from Emily's life. They're all turning into ones with Ethan. And as much as I love Alison. I love being Ethan. What if I belong in this body? I fit in with the guys, the girls all love me, Alison got with me because I was a guy. What if Emily was a mistake?

"Wow. Okay if you can't remember that, then there's something clearly wrong. Now Hanna has been all secretive and so have you. So either one of you tell me what is wrong right now or I swear to God Emily Fields I am walking out those doors." She waits for me but I don't answer because the bell rings and everyone stands up, leaving the cafeteria, Noel and Sean running over to me.